User Tag List

Thread: Quest Help (request for other quest builders)

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.97%

Talking Quest Help (request for other quest builders)

i know there are probably hundreds of awesome tutorials on quest building and how to make areas flow area to area

making the map layout isnt my problem as i have a pretty awesome map currently built up, but link is constantly spawning in the north west corner of my map inside my mountains and i dont know how to fix him, also i do not want to use the classic zelda template i want a new template (im asking for something someone either created or want to see in a quest)

anyway here is my quest idea and if someone wants to help me build it i would be more than happy to accept any and all help

the quest begins with link having these weird dreams of a shadowy figure and an ominous tower shortly after telling princess Zelda of his dreams a mysterious sage breaks into the castle seeking the triforce after casting a spell and freezing link, zelda, and all of the guards the sage proceeds to grab the triforce. underestimating the power of the triforce a black wave comes from the sage that sends zelda,link and the sage to this far off land that has been corrupted by the triforce. zelda and link are awakened in a small village that surrounds a huge tower. link remembers the tower from his dreams and discovers the only way he could enter the tower is if he proves himself to the 8 lords of this land.

the game will feature 9 Full dungeons that surround the town as well as another 10 dungeons which are the floors of the tower a total of 18 full floored dungeons with the final floor of the tower being the final boss fight
    the 9 out lying dungeons feature weapons to aid in links quest while the tower dungeons only offer the final missing heart pieces.

links equipment when he awakens is
    ancestors blade (the ancient starting weapon handed down to link)(simple wooden sword from zelda1)
    hero's Tunic

the dungeon items would be
    bow & arrow(dungeon 4)
    Boomerang(dungeon 1)
    Magic Bomberang (dungeon 7 i want a bomberang to explode on enemies after hitting them with it one time ex. 1st hit is stun hitting the stunned enemy causes him to explode if an enemy is near a wall the explosion could reveal hidden passages)
    Bombs(dungeon 2)
    ladder(given from a villager after completing dungeon 3)
    mirror shield(dungeon 6)
    blue tunic
    red tunic
    (both red and blue tunic offer the same defense just allows you to tackle the dungeons differently depending on which one you grab first decides if you complete dungeon 3 or 5 first these will be bought in a store allowing you to test dungeon 5 and if too difficult you can change to the other tunic for free if possible)
    white tunic(this being the final defense upgrade and will be the prize hidden within dungeon 9 of the outlying dungeons)
    flute(within dungeon 3)
    power sword(this will be given as the prize for completing dungeon 2 and allow you to kill monsters in dungeons 3 - 5)
    charged power sword(this is the prize for completing dungeon 5 and will be required to defeat dungeon 6- 9)
    Master Sword (this is the prize for completing dungeon 9 and is required to complete the tower)
    Fire and ice Rod(dungeon 7 this rod shoots a star that will both freeze and burn enemies respectively if that is possible)
    Boat(dungeon 8 needed to get to dungeon 9)
    every dungeon will give a heart piece after killing the boss
    magic meter expansions will be hidden throughout the world

The tower layout:
    the towers 10 dungeons will run as sort of a boss rush
    each floor's boss will be a harder version of that temples original boss
    floor 1 will be a new dungeon but the boss would be the same boss from temple 1
    floor 2 boss 2 etc.
    item management is a must here as leaving the tower makes all the enemies respawn INCLUDING the bosses

Bosses:
    the 9 bosses will scale in difficulty and i am willing to get ideas for bosses and map layouts i haven't made it this far in planning since i cant even get the simple things stated above fixed

i made an account after months of messing around with this program playing all of your wonderful quests i finally decided to make my own and i hope as a community we can complete my quest idea
    Last edited by xXSoapXx; 12-19-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.82%
    Quote Originally Posted by xXSoapXx View Post
    i know there are probably hundreds of awesome tutorials on quest building and how to make areas flow area to area
    Are you talking about free-scrolling? Like in A Link to the Past? ZQuest does not have support for that feature (and probably will never have it, as it was built to simulate Zelda 1). Some people have attempted to achieve it with Scripting, but even the expert scripters have trouble with it. It's just not very likely (Hey, this post could be obsolete eventually, when I first joined Roc's Feather was a pipe-dream).

making the map layout isnt my problem as i have a pretty awesome map currently built up, but link is constantly spawning in the north west corner of my map inside my mountains and i dont know how to fix him, also i do not want to use the classic zelda template i want a new template (im asking for something someone either created or want to see in a quest)
    You need to set his warp return point. It defaults to (0,0) [the coordinates of the upper left corner]. Along the bottom of the editor are a series of boxes; you want to click the blue warp boxes [They're labelled A through D] and then click on screen where you wish Link to appear. Technically you only need to set the A box if you are doing continue points, but I usually place all four just to prevent errors. You will need to do this for every screen on which Link will continue, as well as every screen that is the destination of a warp. Warp combos correspond to the different letters (so Cave A will use Warp Return A). Where warps go is set under Screen Data.

Quest Templates are an 'incomplete' feature of the editor. That is, they were planned but never implemented, so no one could produce a template to replace the Classic template. It is common, however, for ZQuesters to build unpassworded "Tileset" quests, which you may copy and then use in lieu of the classic setup. These tileset quests vary in versatility and ease of use; it is best to experiment.
    You can find tileset quests on PureZC. Check the reviews and screenshots, they will help you choose the tileset that's right for your project.

anyway here is my quest idea and if someone wants to help me build it i would be more than happy to accept any and all help

[Quest plans]

i made an account after months of messing around with this program playing all of your wonderful quests i finally decided to make my own and i hope as a community we can complete my quest idea
    That sounds like quite the project, which will most likely rely on very cinematic screen arrangement/scripting and definitely item scripting. While I can appreciate your zeal, it may be a good idea to first construct a simple quest as a means of learning all of the editor's tricks. Then you can practice scripting and work on your masterpiece.

Finally, I would like to formally welcome you to AGN!

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    32.87%
    I don't think he is talking about Alttp scrolling at all. Rather, if I'm not mistaken, he is referring to having many bunched screens of "forest" without having them abruptly become "mountain" right in the middle of it all, for no reason. This is a matter of design.

Regarding your quest ideas, it'd be much easier to write most of that as a story in the quest submission form, when you are done with the quest and submit it to the database (READ THIS OR I WILL CUT YOU). Don't worry, there will be a form for this on the page. Back in the day, there used to be a lot of members (especially at Purezc.com) who were new to the program and wanted to make super megaquests like the kind they saw Peteo and Darkflamewolf make. To this day, there still aren't that many "big" quests in the database either here or there.

Thread Information