User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you plan on making a 5th entry?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 58.82%
  • No

7 41.18%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifth Quest Planning and Discussion

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.17%
    Quote Originally Posted by Goriya View Post
    Soooo...when do we have to start? Can we start now? Or do we have to wait for the announcement?
    Well you could start six hours before the quest is due (like that one crazy guy from the two-weeks contest), but I recommend starting as early as possible. Several people have already begun constructing their 5th quest submission and I know at least one has a functional 9 dungeon prototype already.

This won't be like the two-week contest where the challenge is the time constraint; rather the challenge is to build a quest that is so memorable that it is worth bundling with Zelda Classic.
    Last edited by CJC; 08-15-2013 at 09:13 PM.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.03%
    Soooo...when do we have to start? Can we start now? Or do we have to wait for the announcement?
    You can start whenever you want. Since there's no rule disallowing previously created content to be rehashed, or any possibly way to prevent this anyway, you could have started 10 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Wouldn't it be okay for participants to also serve as judges if they:

1.) Were disallowed from voting for their own project

2.) Were REQUIRED to vote for one of the projects they played

3.) Were REQUIRED to give point-by-point explanations for their vote decision, to show they didn't just pick an opponent out of a hat because it was part of the rules.
    Sure, why not. Vote for yourself if you think it's the best one.
    As long as people don't start flaming I think it would be amusing to have some contestant voting data. (Which in fairness will likely be handled separately)
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.99%
    Allow people to vote for more than one. That'd be the best way to handle voter bias.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Allow people to vote for more than one. That'd be the best way to handle voter bias.

-James
    I don't think that's much of an improvement.

If we're going to make community voting a component (or hell, even if it's only official judges) I suggest doing a Borda count.
    For those unfamiliar, that's where every person votes for their top 3 (or other number) favorites in order of preference. Each placement is worth a number of points, to be totaled up among the votes to decide a winner.

Shattered Earth, coming soon!

Mappers needed. If you want to help, send a PM to MasterSwordUltima.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.99%
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    I don't think that's much of an improvement.

If we're going to make community voting a component (or hell, even if it's only official judges) I suggest doing a Borda count.
    For those unfamiliar, that's where every person votes for their top 3 (or other number) favorites in order of preference. Each placement is worth a number of points, to be totaled up among the votes to decide a winner.
    There are only a limited number of people here, and if you enable people to vote for themselves, then they're obviously going to vote for themselves first and not for anyone else.

At least if you allow for the option to vote for more than one they will pick the others to go with their own and we'd get a better #.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.47%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    There are only a limited number of people here, and if you enable people to vote for themselves, then they're obviously going to vote for themselves first and not for anyone else.

At least if you allow for the option to vote for more than one they will pick the others to go with their own and we'd get a better #.

-James
    If everyone votes for their self as their top pick, those votes will cancel out.

Shattered Earth, coming soon!

Mappers needed. If you want to help, send a PM to MasterSwordUltima.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.23%
    Okay so, after looking at the rules:
    You must use boss keys and boss doors.
    Why is the even in the rules? I mean, the first 3 quests didn't have boss doors or boss keys, so shouldn't these things be optional?

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.03%
    Like I said, there won't be a poll. Because everyone will not have played all the entries they're voting on, it's likely to get slightly complicated. The exact system used to tally the votes is still up in the air, and to be honest, might depend on how close they are. A Borda count sounds like a good place to start, say top 30-40% or so of quests, but still needs to factor in what quests that voter had not played or the total number that they did play, or, if they entered or not. Maybe a total rating or category as well? Perhaps "Best overall", "Most in-line with the NES", and maybe "Funnest" or "Most Addictive".

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    If everyone votes for their self as their top pick, those votes will cancel out.
    Logic. It's not just for Vulcans anymore.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.03%
    Okay so, after looking at the rules:

Why is the even in the rules? I mean, the first 3 quests didn't have boss doors or boss keys, so shouldn't these things be optional?
    Actually yes, yes it should be optional. Subsequently, any other requirement that didn't exist in the previous contests should probably be optional as well, except for the new enemies requirement, that one needs to go in. Even if you're a hardcore NES guy and want authentic NES enemies, you can create Item Bubble varieties just to qualify. Also going to simplify the "quest rules" section since it is a little confusing, and try to simplify some sections in general. We should be good to go this week sometime. :)

Also, first person to put in "ITS DANGEROUS TO GO ALONE, TAKE THIS", and then give Link the Magic Book automatically gets 42 million point-tokens redeemable for contest-points.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.03%
    And so it begins!

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
    Hi there. I registered just so I could put in my two cents on all this. (Not that a new guy's opinion is worth anything, but hey.)

I only have a few issues with the rules as they are. First off, there's the "mandatory three new enemies" rule. I can certainly see the arguments for it, but I fear that most contest participants will read that and come up with a solution that can be summed up as "hurr durr i'll make a lynel with 3x as much hp as the blue ones and 2x its damage". Increasing health and damage seems to be a popular action in ZC quests. It is also, in my opinion, a very stupid action. The only thing that increased health accomplishes is that it makes fighting enemies more tedious. Raising damage simply means that a mistake incurs a stronger punishment. While there are cases where either of these actions can be appropriate, there are incredibly few cases where both are appropriate together.

I'm not necessarily saying to get rid of the rule, though. Actually, if I were a participant (I won't be, because Zquest map creation goes over my head), I would use this as the opportunity to make a new enemy species or two. An idea I had was for an enemy that had DR/Wand in the same way Pols Voice have DR/Arrow. Put Link's items through their paces.

Speaking of items, I would be careful about adding a lot of ZC's included items. This isn't even from a "tradition" standpoint; a lot of the other items are simply gamebreaking. Lemme list some of the ones I can think of right now that would destroy any semblance of balance.
    Magic Bomb Bag: Everything explodes. Player wins.
    Hookshots that do damage: Stunlocks and kills anything that isn't a Wizzrobe or boss, and stunlocks Wizzrobes.
    Boomerangs that do damage: See above, except add Darknuts, and it doesn't stun either those or Wizzrobes, but the loss of versatility is made up for by block piercing and diagonal attack.
    Life Ring: Essentially, unless a single room can kill Link at full health (which is probably bad balancing in itself), he can't die. Even for the players who aren't very patient, all they have to do is turn off FPS limiting for a few seconds and even the slowest Life Ring will regenerate all of Link's health.

...Huh. I could've sworn there were a lot more. Ah well, if I think of any others, I'll either edit this or make a new post. In any case, included items should be playtested carefully to make sure they don't trivialize the quest.

I'd like to conclude this with one thing that I should not really have to mention, but given the stories I've heard outside of the ZC community about the average quest, I'll mention it anyway. Play time is not an accurate measurement of fun.

(P.S. Pushing blocks into solid tiles is a dumb mechanic.)
    Hi! I somehow missed of forgot about this post. Anyway,
    I agree with a lot of those and I think you'll see the "finalized" rules reflect them better. The rough edges have been rounded out for sure.

In the past the Nth quests have been pretty good, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

And yes, I have a hard time playing "epic" quests as well. I don't think I've even finished one of them actually.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 08-23-2013 at 08:36 AM.

Thread Information