Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%

20th Anniversary Quest Contest

For the 20th Anniversary of ZC, we're hosting a new official quest contest:

Contest Discord Server

Basic Rules
    1. Use the Z1 Overworld as a base, then modify it as you see fit: Be creative, but preserve enough of it so that a new user who has played Z1 will recognise where they are. Expansion and new areas as permitted.
    2. You must use ZC 2.53.0, Release 3 to create the quest, and verify that it plays properly in that version of ZC Player. Here is a preliminary package of 2.53.0 Release 3, to get you started.
    3. Dungeons (nine minimum) may be of any design, including free-form and 'overworld' styles.
    4. You may choose to use something other than the Triforce as dungeon items.
    5. You must use the Classic tileset, however, you are permitted to expand it, to add palettes, and to use tiles with more than four colours.
    6. You can (and should) use new enemies,items and bosses (provided in Classic.zh, or by the self-provided, or from another source. The final output must be able to go into Classic.zh or a public script set--no 'private' scripts are allowed.
    7. You can use any scripts, as long as they are public and reasonably comprehensible. Final scripts for the winner(s) will be distributed with 2.53, and future versions as part of the Classic Module, both as ZScript and as ZASM (for legacy preservation, in future releases).
    8. You can improvise story and use any ZC feature that you wish, including mouse controls.
    9. Teams and collaboration are permitted (and frankly, encouraged).
    10. Music should be MIDI, or Chiptune (e.g., .nsf, .smc), not MP3 or OGG.
    11. You my create new assets, or use assets from a database. If using assets other than your own, please submit credits for those assets in the form of a text file.
    12. You may use 8-way movement or 4-way movement; and normal or large hitboxes.
    13. You may use large (32x32) Link tiles and any animation style.
    14. You do not need to use all Z1 items/weapons. Feel free to mix things up, and to invent items or use items from other Zelda titles.
    15. You may use combos that occupy more than one tile (e.g. large trees, large rocks).

16. You may start immediately. (There is no specific date and time before which you may not begin working on this.)

This isn't intended to be a 'pure NES' quest, but rather, it's intended to be a modern, Classic tileset quest, based loosely on Z1, so Z1 overworld landmarks should exist to be familiar to new players.

Enemies from 3D games are also welcome. I'm planning on including a BotW Guardian as 2x2 tile.

The design cut-off is the end of December, with final package to be released in January.

We will select up to 5 new quests out of the results (to become the official 6th->10th quests.

Please let us know if you have anything to contribute to the assets or to the contest itself.

Note: While you are able to open and edit the 1st.qst file in 2.53.x, because its tile arrangement was designed for 1.92 we advise using Anthus' Classic 2.50 tileset for ripping maps. Its assets should be compatible with the 2.53 Classic tileset.

You may also want to view the sister thread for this contest, on PureZC.

2.53r3 Package last updated on 23rd September, 2019 at 19:43GMT.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    I updated the 2.53R3 package in the top post, fixing a bug, where the < and > hotkeys were wrapping the screen palette based on 256 total palettes, rather than 512 palettes. This is a QoL patch, not a critical patch

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Updated the 2.53r3 package link to point to the zc.com download, instead of to Lydia. This will therefore remain pointing to the most current preliminary build of 2.53r3 at all times.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.06%
    This is a repost from pure but just incase that doesn't reach you... Zoria, would entries that didn't make it in previous contests be considered?

I know of two very challenging quests that didn't make it in their day but I think they are very good quality. In one of them the author is now deceased and the other is inactive. If it is permitted, I would submit those quests on their behalf (I would take no credit of course). They gave implicit consent for their work to be put in a contest because they submitted it for previous contests. Only issue is that they aren't made for the build you specified and they are password protected. But if they win, I'm sure that you can modify their quest for the purpose of making it compatible with 2.53 and they wouldn't have minded.

Speaking of winning, perhaps it would be more appropriate in our times to have a normal mode winner and a hero mode winner. Two quests can win. There are plenty of people who like a more relaxed form of the game and there are plenty of people who enjoy a more challenging form of the game. It would show that although no individual quest maker makes quests to accomodate for both, the quest-making community as a whole does provide for both
    James's three laws of quest making:

1) Quest makers put their tastes and preferences first and everyone else second
    2) The "everyone else second" part can only be implemented if and only if it takes a very short time.
    3) If large amounts of money are being paid for the quest change rule number 1 to "sponsor tastes first and own tastes second" and rule number 2 to "must be implemented even if it takes nearly forever".

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by James24 View Post
    This is a repost from pure but just incase that doesn't reach you... Zoria, would entries that didn't make it in previous contests be considered?

I know of two very challenging quests that didn't make it in their day but I think they are very good quality. In one of them the author is now deceased and the other is inactive. If it is permitted, I would submit those quests on their behalf (I would take no credit of course). They gave implicit consent for their work to be put in a contest because they submitted it for previous contests. Only issue is that they aren't made for the build you specified and they are password protected. But if they win, I'm sure that you can modify their quest for the purpose of making it compatible with 2.53 and they wouldn't have minded.

Speaking of winning, perhaps it would be more appropriate in our times to have a normal mode winner and a hero mode winner. Two quests can win. There are plenty of people who like a more relaxed form of the game and there are plenty of people who enjoy a more challenging form of the game. It would show that although no individual quest maker makes quests to accomodate for both, the quest-making community as a whole does provide for both

Yes. Entries for prior contests, and frankly any quest is eligible,. Just be sure to look over the entrance guidelines, and you will be fine James.

It is quite possible that there will be more than one quest added to Classic as a result of this event. The outcome / ranking will be open to the entire userbase, based on a set of criteria (WIP) and a voting and ranking system for each. We will measure the feedback on each participant's entries and decide based on that feedback which are the best candidates.

At least one quest will become 6th, but the current ZC format allows up to 10 quests per 'module', so 6th through 10th will be considered.

The next big event will be a contest for open assets (new quests), so Classic will be in no rush for more than 10 total quests for a while

Ultimately the number of quests that we pack in will be based on a percentage of the finished quests put forth. if you have projects that you want to put enter, please, do. I would love to see you on the 20th Anniversary Contest Discord server if you are able to participate in that manner, as it allows a great deal of both organisation and communication.

Also remember that you, and any participant may 'team up' and work with partners. Entries need not be a one-man band.

I have considered entering meself, but I am being kept busy just getting the next builds done, I had a rather interesting idea for this event, but IDK if I will have the time, or the mental energy to execute it. As this is community-ranked, I can participate without any sense of nepotism (or other, shady considerations).

The current rules and all participating entries are all here:

https://discord.gg/eUJHydZ

Come on over and join us. The dark side awaits.

P.S. My apologies for the delayed reply. Between the holidays and my deteriorating health, this week has been a debacle.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.45%
    the classic Zelda map in thre nes game is the only map I am familiar with, I need help, and I need a custom made map of that please, please send me acopy in .qst fprmat please because that I the only one iam familiar with

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.45%
    i want to make the regular version of the nes quests, but instead I end up making the deluxe versions with the hammer, I want to make the basic ones with the basic items in the nes game.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerKingCenturion View Post
    i want to make the regular version of the nes quests, but instead I end up making the deluxe versions with the hammer, I want to make the basic ones with the basic items in the nes game.
    Please download 2.53.1 Pre-Release. It is specifically set up for the contest with a blank quest that has all of the Z1 maps in it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.45%
    all I need to do nowis learn about building labyrinths and edit maps

Gel Just registered
    Mentioned