0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.38%

"Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia" released on the Quest Database

Link and Zelda: Panoply of Calatia on the ZeldaClassic.com Quest Database

Download the Panoply of Calatia Support Pack (on Dropbox)
    Download the Panoply of Calatia Support Pack (on ZeldaClassic.com)
    (Includes the Enhanced Music soundtrack, a full Instruction Manual booklet, Secret Guides, and the original script files. The music will not fully work unless you put the Enhanced Music files in the same directory with the quest!)

Download updated files for the Support Pack
    (This contains an improved Seashell guide and some scripts that were updated after the first release.)

Link and Zelda embark on an adventuresome quest in the Land of Calatia to rescue Hyrule's King and Calatia's Queen from the dastardly fire warrior Militron!

This quest features a character-switching system, and many, many scripted items, some based on later Zelda games, and some reimagined or new. The primary emphasis is on exploration and item puzzles!

Difficulty:
    In terms of combat, the challenge level is meant to be medium/low, with a gradual increase, but there are adjustable settings (and optional items) to make the game easier or harder, however you prefer. There's also a bunch of guides including in the support pack if you get stuck on some of the harder puzzles, or if you can't find some of the secrets- it's all up to you how you want to play!

Inspirations:
    I tried to sort of combine everything I loved about Zelda II, A Link to the Past, and certain elements from Link's Awakening- the kind of stuff I always wanted to see in ZC that it wasn't able to do before scripting. This is a quest where you can release a Bee (from LTTP) to fight a Moby (from Zelda II), for example. Things like Bow-wow (LA), the Switch Hook (OoA), a note-by-note Flute (based on OoT), the Spinner (TP), a Parachute Leaf (WW), and even the Beetle (SS) are all in this quest- and many more. I also completely redesigned the Ladder, which is a manually-used button item now.

For variety of items, I think the most inspiring Zelda games were actually the Oracles games, since they had excellent puzzles. For puzzles, I took a little bit of inspiration from The Lost Vikings, though my style is fairly different. In terms of having lots and lots of inventory options, I also took some inspiration from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and my partner system is more than a little inspired by Portrait of Ruin, too.

Story:
    I wanted to keep the story simplistic and brief (much more succinct than this post). There are very few cases of multiple-line dialogue anywhere in the quest, and most cut scenes focus more on actions than words. However, there is also a scrolling intro, and the game is meant to be a simple little sequel a while after the events of Zelda II. The full introduction story is inside the Instruction Manual Booklet (in the Support Pack).

Game design:
    My other goal was to give the player more options, ways to go to, more different types of abilities to use, and generally have more complex puzzles than standard Zelda fare. There aren't a lot of standard block puzzles, nor true enemy gauntlets; instead, you've got to climb all around with different tools, moving objects, holding pressure switches, switching places, and all that kind of stuff. However, there's also a lot of optional sidequest content, with several minigames, a trading sequence, and secret seashells.

In short, it's a complicated quest that's more about experimenting with a million items and the character switch mechanics than anything else, but it also has a lot of thematic tie-ins to Zelda II.

Advice:

• There's usually more than one thing you can do next
    • There's often more than one way to solve a puzzle
    • Experimentation with your growing inventory of items is vital
    • Most secrets have some kind of hint- keep an eye out for little oddities. There may also be other contextual hints.
    • Although the game is nonlinear, most of it is set up such that you usually have something you need before you get to a place where you'd need it for anything weird.
    • Don't forget about your old items- they often come back around to be useful again, or even required again, by the end of the quest!

I'm open to answering any questions anyone might have about this game, although that may result in spoilers. I have also left the quest un-passworded so that anyone may edit it and experiment with it's resources, though most of my scripting is kind of confusing and badly organized probably, so this may not be helpful. (I apologize if I'm not around very consistently however, but I will follow this thread!)
    Last edited by Mitsukara; 01-12-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Added the zeldaclassic.com support pack mirror

The Legend of Zelda: The Inverse Mirror supporter

Behold, ye Banner of Gannons! Behold the power of regional changes and despair!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%
    I uploaded your support file to the database when I approved the quest.
    The issue with this, is if you ever need to update that file, I'll have to do it for you.

I did this though so it doesn't just go missing one day and wouldn't be available for download with the quest.

-15 penalty to all intuit direction checks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.38%
    Oh cool, thank you! I didn't even notice that link went to Zeldaclassic.com instead of dropbox now, but I appreciate it; I'd previously thought about trying to mirror it somewhere but hadn't thought of a good way on my own. It's nice to know it'll be preserved (and publically available) somewhere else too now.

(By the way, is there a filesize limit on the database? That was the main reason I kept it separate, instead of combining them when I first uploaded).

I don't know if I'll find anything else broken enough that I decide to update it again (it's gone through two patches since I released it in December, but I'm hoping I covered basically everything, since I had a lot of beta testing help before release); there's like, 6 text files (most of them slightly-modified scripts) in the second zip file I linked above, and that's it for new stuff. If you'd like me to make an updated all-in-one-zip I could, though?

Either way, thanks : )

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    I think that @War Lord set it to 30MB.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.14%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    I think that @War Lord set it to 30MB.
    I do believe this is true.
    I was toying with the idea of a seperate quest add on pack if uploading a quest. However, I don't think we ever came to a conclusion on potential max size.
    Are all current ones less than 100? More?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    Play as Link and Zelda? What is this madness? :)

I'll have to check out this quest when I get some spare time.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by War Lord View Post
    I do believe this is true.
    I was toying with the idea of a seperate quest add on pack if uploading a quest. However, I don't think we ever came to a conclusion on potential max size.
    Are all current ones less than 100? More?
    Well, the real question, is how big of a database do you feel that you can handle. If you own the hardware, and can put a 1TB RAID system in place, you could support 200MB per package and may never need to care; but then, it could be a bandwidth concern. The average expansion pack is 100MB to 200MB, but beyond that, it may contain copyrighted music, or other things. I;d say, if the expansion includes original media, allow it; as there are far fewer of those, and this limits both your liability legally, and it reduces your server overhead.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Play as Link and Zelda? What is this madness? :)

I'll have to check out this quest when I get some spare time.

You're going to like this one. it has a lot of gameplay variety, and bizarre items that can be manipulated (in intentionally ...gamebreaking is not the right word... sequence-breaking is better) ways. Some of the stuff I;ve been adding, is specifically to help support scripted quests of this magnitude.
    Last edited by ctrl-alt-delete; 02-24-2017 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Fixed an error with the quote tag so it would draw War Lords attention back to the thread.

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.85%
    This quest is bad-ass! I just randomly popped in a few days ago and saw this post. I haven't messed around with ZC or played any new quests in many years, but this looked intriguing enough for me to install ZC. I am thoroughly entertained. Thank you!
    "In a democracy, majority rules. The majority of people are stupid. You do the math."

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    I think I'll give this quest a whirl. I haven't played much ZC this year; it's good to take a break from things sometimes. :)

I love these types of off-the-wall quests. Is there any bonus for completing the game without the sword? Has anyone done it yet? I will accept your challenge. ^_^
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

-15 penalty to all intuit direction checks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    25.38%
    Thanks! I hope it continues to entertain. It's a big weird heap of mechanics ideas I tried to cohere into a flexible, not-completely-broken game with mixed results, basically.

I've found a few more bugs that are in the present version though, so I might be releasing another minor update (to Version 1.3) before too much longer. The way my scripts work, updates are usually friendly with old save files, though.

As far as completing it without the sword, there's no real reward or advantage, but you can find the sword in a special alternate location (which is normally an empty room) near the end when it finally becomes necessary. Personally, having tested it out, I think the game is less fun without the sword, but, I like the idea because of Zelda 1 allowing that, and because it helped me make sure to keep the rest of the game a little more flexible.

Thread Information