vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.98%

Awful day for freedom.

Voting Rights Act.

Texas Republicans.

The only branch of our government that I'm not extremely disappointed in right now is the Executive Branch.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.98%
    Quote Originally Posted by Dechipher View Post
    Voting Rights Act.
    How is it constitutional that some states are subjected to stricter federal regulations than others?

The only branch of our government that I'm not extremely disappointed in right now is the Executive Branch.
    My bad, I thought you were in the US.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    How is it constitutional that some states are subjected to stricter federal regulations than others?
    For the same reasons that children are subjected to stricter federal regulations than are adults.

Shattered Earth, coming soon!

Mappers needed. If you want to help, send a PM to MasterSwordUltima.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.58%
    The same reason they get paid six figures to halt progress. "Moving forward" my ass.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.3%
    When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was a birthday thread for @Freedom .

----
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    I agree with Mercy. The Federal Government's policies should apply to every state equally. Either all states should be subjected to the stricter regulations, or none of them should be. Giving certain states preferential treatment (in this case, the states that were not subject to the stricter policy in the first place) not only muddies the law, but confuses the purpose of a central government in general--that purpose being centralized legislation.

I hope they DO put it back in place, but as an actual Federal regulation that applies to all fifty states, and any others that would follow in the future. The matter isn't about voting; it's about the Federal government giving itself leave to give out preferential treatment. Preferential treatment applied to states damages the cohesion of our union, and such practices should never be adopted.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Either all states should be subjected to the stricter regulations, or none of them should be. Giving certain states preferential treatment (in this case, the states that were not subject to the stricter policy in the first place) not only muddies the law, but confuses the purpose of a central government in general--that purpose being centralized legislation.
    The restrictions on certain states (mostly former Slave-owning/Jim Crow states) are there to prevent the racist legislators in charge of those states from disenfranchising the black vote through laws that, while not racist on the surface, are carefully engineered for the same end result.

As much as people want to believe that racism is dead in our day and age, it is not, and those regulations are still needed.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.3%
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    The restrictions on certain states (mostly former Slave-owning/Jim Crow states) are there to prevent the racist legislators in charge of those states from disenfranchising the black vote through laws that, while not racist on the surface, are carefully engineered for the same end result.

As much as people want to believe that racism is dead in our day and age, it is not, and those regulations are still needed.
    Given an indefinite length of time, though, ANY state could have a significant change in legislators. Since these regulations were put in place to prevent discriminating policies (like a Jim Crow Law), what would have been the harm in having it apply to ALL of the states from the get go? Northern states are forever infallible, because they were good at the time? That sounds like a load of crap. It's just very poorly executed.

My point is not about preventing the Federal Government from passing laws and regulations on State Governments. My point is that those laws... ANY Federal law... should apply to every state by default. It's a FEDERAL law, after all. It reflects a decision made by our entire union (both evenly by Senate and through population by the House), so it should apply to our entire union.
    What harm would have been done if those stricter regulations had applied to EVERY state from the get go? Extra federal expenses? Pheh, it generates jobs too, which have always been more important.
    So I'm not saying that the regulation was not necessary (nor that it is no longer needed). I'm saying its initial execution was incorrect, which damages its position as a viable federal law.

It's funny. Here I am, a libertarian against big government, and I'm arguing on the side of stricter government regulations for the sake of a simpler federal model.

Law in general is needlessly complicated.

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.92%
    I don't disagree with the court's ruling, per se; it's been a long time, and the preclearance formula is out-of-date. The problem's only gotten worse, and the requirement should absolutely apply to every state. But by striking down the old formula, they've left us with none at all, which is even worse. And they left it up to Congress to come up with a new one. There's no chance in Hell they'll get it right.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.69%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Since these regulations were put in place to prevent discriminating policies (like a Jim Crow Law), what would have been the harm in having it apply to ALL of the states from the get go?
    I was going to say extra federal expenses but you said "pheh" to that, so I guess there's no convincing you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.12%
    Well, DOMA was repealed, so there is that on the plus side of things. I guess that all depends on your stance on the issue, though, but personally, I thought that was a great thing. Also, the Texas Republicans may be total jackasses, but they were luckily stopped (doesn't mean they won't try that crap again). But, once again, I guess it all depends on your stance on that matter. Plus, Lord knows they're gonna just keep trying 'till they succeed. At any rate, these are two cases of power being denied from the government, so regardless of your individual stances on the issues, it does mean more freedom for the people, for better or for worse.

If it wasn't clear, I support both decisions wholeheartedly, I just don't want to start a potential debate on the matter. Shoot, I really have gotten older. LOL, just remembering there was a time when I would have jumped at the opportunity to get into a yelling match with Beldaran or something.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Thread Information