Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.76%

Is this map of Hyrule and surrounding lands accurate...you be the judge

Is this map of Hyrule and surrounding lands accurate? You be the judge.

I'd like to hear any comments...as they will directly effect my game design...
    Laters

J~
    A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Mitch Hedberg

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.93%
    First of all aren't Holodrum, Labrynna, and Termina in other realms?

Also disappointed there's no Calatia.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.76%
    Yeah, I thought something was wrong... I'm pretty sure it's impossible to have a truly accurate map of Hyrule...from game one...to OoT there were a ton of contradictions.... The placement of the Lost forest should be southwest of Hyrule Castle...placing the Lost Hills in a giant stretch from south of Lake Hylia cutting through southern Hyrule field and ending at the base of Death mountain. I'm using this as a direct correlation from the placement of Death Mountain in the first game...and what they ended up with in OoT... Death mountain is NE... so the area where you start in game 1 would be almost directly south of Hyrule castle...Somewhere near the Faron woods and Lost Forest. Most maps I look at though have the Hyrule plains as a huge uninterrupted mass separated only by a river feeding into Lake Hylia. They don't include the hills that divide link from the forest and the plains from the first game.
    Just a thought.

Mitch Hedberg

I shall exalt myself over all Armagedddon Games bigjoe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.34%
    Where's Koridai?

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.36%
    Termina exists in another dimension, and Great Sea is flooded Hyrule.

Hyrule in the map would be too far north, Death MOuntain is far more extensive vertically than it is horizontally. Although Somaria slightly resembles a portion of Zelda II's map near Parapa palace, the placement of Hyrule itself betrays this.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaydeadone View Post
    Yeah, I thought something was wrong... I'm pretty sure it's impossible to have a truly accurate map of Hyrule...from game one...to OoT there were a ton of contradictions.... The placement of the Lost forest should be southwest of Hyrule Castle...placing the Lost Hills in a giant stretch from south of Lake Hylia cutting through southern Hyrule field and ending at the base of Death mountain. I'm using this as a direct correlation from the placement of Death Mountain in the first game...and what they ended up with in OoT... Death mountain is NE... so the area where you start in game 1 would be almost directly south of Hyrule castle...Somewhere near the Faron woods and Lost Forest. Most maps I look at though have the Hyrule plains as a huge uninterrupted mass separated only by a river feeding into Lake Hylia. They don't include the hills that divide link from the forest and the plains from the first game.
    Just a thought.
    Most of the first few maps depict that same land in a confined, rectangular space. It is my assumption that yes, no such map is accurate, and later 3D games only improve the actual map. Twilight Princess I believe to be an unusual exception to the norm, but only because it is located north of the Hyrule of Ocarina of Time. we use the position of the Master Sword as a key here. (notice it was also surrounded by forest in Alttp.)

Most of the maps all have one main flaw or another early on. For the very first Zelda, that flaw was space. Hyrule is *said* to be tiny at this point, but unless it physically shrank somehow, the overworld is heavily vertically abridged and should be at least twice as tall. Even in Zelda II, there is a little more land between the lake and spectacle rock.

Link to the Past? confinement. Hyrule has a little more room to stretch out, but is still boxed. Scale aside, its basically OoT.

Ocarina? Scale. we're at a point where one can believe they are standing in Hyrule, but Hyrule is still miniaturized, I think. Going by Wind Waker at the least.

Wind Waker doesn't offer a full-on view of Hyrule's map, and the grid-like placement of islands shouldn't be trusted. however, coupled with the small amount of the kingdom that you do get to explore, most people have compiled a map that looks fairly similar to that of the upcoming Wii U game, which I think may be closest look we have at Hyrule's true form.
    Last edited by King Aquamentus; 05-11-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.76%
    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post
    Termina exists in another dimension, and Great Sea is flooded Hyrule.

Hyrule in the map would be too far north, Death MOuntain is far more extensive vertically than it is horizontally. Although Somaria slightly resembles a portion of Zelda II's map near Parapa palace, the placement of Hyrule itself betrays this.

No.

Most of the first few maps depict that same land in a confined, rectangular space. It is my assumption that yes, no such map is accurate, and later 3D games only improve the actual map. Twilight Princess I believe to be an unusual exception to the norm, but only because it is located north of the Hyrule of Ocarina of Time. we use the position of the Master Sword as a key here. (notice it was also surrounded by forest in Alttp.)

Most of the maps all have one main flaw or another early on. For the very first Zelda, that flaw was space. Hyrule is *said* to be tiny at this point, but unless it physically shrank somehow, the overworld is heavily vertically abridged and should be at least twice as tall. Even in Zelda II, there is a little more land between the lake and spectacle rock.

Link to the Past? confinement. Hyrule has a little more room to stretch out, but is still boxed. Scale aside, its basically OoT.

Ocarina? Scale. we're at a point where one can believe they are standing in Hyrule, but Hyrule is still miniaturized, I think. Going by Wind Waker at the least.

Wind Waker doesn't offer a full-on view of Hyrule's map, and the grid-like placement of islands shouldn't be trusted. however, coupled with the small amount of the kingdom that you do get to explore, most people have compiled a map that looks fairly similar to that of the upcoming Wii U game, which I think may be closest look we have at Hyrule's true form.
    Wow,
    Great stuff King Aquamentus. You write very well. I appreciate your feedback.

It's an excellent point using the Master Sword as a stasis. That definitely helps me define this a bit better in my head.

I also think its kind of interesting that all the maps that I have looked up display this world as Pangaea (single large land mass), some maps have a couple of small islands.
    I would think their planet might have formed other continents. Maybe it's a younger planet that has yet to separate on fault lines.

There are theories that Hyrule is actually on planet Earth, because the constellations in the sky are the same as Earth's.
    Maybe Hyrule exists before our own times as we know it or a new time after a great cataclysm.

Just food for thought.

Thanks again for the feed back.

J~

Mitch Hedberg

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.5%

The Artist Once Known As Old-Skool QDB Manager
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.36%
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydeadone View Post
    Wow,
    Great stuff King Aquamentus. You write very well. I appreciate your feedback.

It's an excellent point using the Master Sword as a stasis. That definitely helps me define this a bit better in my head.

I also think its kind of interesting that all the maps that I have looked up display this world as Pangaea (single large land mass), some maps have a couple of small islands.
    I would think their planet might have formed other continents. Maybe it's a younger planet that has yet to separate on fault lines.

There are theories that Hyrule is actually on planet Earth, because the constellations in the sky are the same as Earth's.
    Maybe Hyrule exists before our own times as we know it or a new time after a great cataclysm.

Just food for thought.

Thanks again for the feed back.

J~
    On the contrary, most of the series simply focuses on one primary landmass which we can assume to generally be the same area because similar landmarks reappear throughout (namely Spectacle Rock and a waterfall to the northeast which is usually Zora's domain) The rest of it? Well, Zelda II. Additionally, Holodrum and Labrynna are a part of that same planet, not another dimension like Termina. Notice that Link leaves on a ship at the end of that little adventure. As for the Master Sword in OoS/OoA, it like other things in those games should be approached with very broad strokes. Capcom...

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.93%
    Quote Originally Posted by King Aquamentus View Post
    Additionally, Holodrum and Labrynna are a part of that same planet, not another dimension like Termina. Notice that Link leaves on a ship at the end of that little adventure.
    There is nothing to confirm that. In fact, the Triforce teleports Link there instead of him sailing. Suggesting it might not be possible to reach Holodrum or Labrynna from hyrule by physical means. I think the only other person who travels there from Hyrule is Zelda, another person connected to the Triforce. We know Holodrum and Labrynna occupy the same realm because it's inhabitants travel between them. The ending of the linked game shows the Triforce, a castle, and link sailing away suggesting he is sailing away from Hyrule (supposedly to the events of LA).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.76%
    Well,

I am just as confused as I am now enlightened.
    Maybe if I give you a story background you will have a better Idea of what I am trying to accomplish in my game's map design.

The story takes place after OoT, Gannondorf is defeated, but Hyrule is still weakened. A power vacuum is made when Gannon dies. Leaving two of his remaining generals vying for the lands of Hyrule and the power of the triforce. (which I never did understand why it never made an appearance in OoT).
    Claiming large swaths of Hyrule with swarms of minions, both generals find themselves at the gates of Hyrule castle. Link sends Zelda out through a secret passage with the triforce pieces (you know the passage) and remains to defend the castle and distract the armies from her escape.
    She manages to hide two before being captured and Link being completely out numbered is over run and taken prisoner as well.
    The remaining triforce pieces are split between the two generals and each take a prisoner in hopes to gaining the the locations of the hidden two pieces.

Now here is where I need some map advice.
    A: What outer lands did these two generals come from? It has to be an area that wasn't covered in OoT, but I wanted it to fit in with the 'known' LoZ world. I thought maybe one of them could have been out conquering the Island palace from LoZ 2 (somewhere to the East)...The other....I still don't know.
    B: Zelda hid two pieces of the triforce. One in the very first dungeon we ever saw Link enter and the other in the Great cemetery also from the first LoZ. I need these to fit into a OoT type map.

Where I need help is, what lands did these two generals poke their heads out of? One general is more might, and the other more magic. (Essentially Im making a super Darknut and Uber Wizrobe....animations pending.) So I need to fit them into lands appropriate for their 'type'.

I'd love to hear your ideas,

J~

Mitch Hedberg

Thread Information