User Tag List

Thread: Do Game Reviews Matter Much To You When Deciding Which Title To Buy?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.02%

Do Game Reviews Matter Much To You When Deciding Which Title To Buy?

Hi Everyone. I hope this thread finds you all well.:)

Do the television shows, websites, or magazine reviews have much impact on your decision of the titles that you plan to buy? Myself, not really. Quite often games they review and dislike turn out to be games I love. What's your stand on the subject?

God Bless.
    Blanka

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.23%
    Reviews generally are ignored by me because I like to decide for myself based on my experience if I'll like a game, not on somebody else's opinion (no matter how good/bad it may be)
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.92%
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanka View Post
    Hi Everyone. I hope this thread finds you all well.:)

Do the television shows, websites, or magazine reviews have much impact on your decision of the titles that you plan to buy? Myself, not really. Quite often games they review and dislike turn out to be games I love. What's your stand on the subject?

God Bless.
    Blanka

They used to, but as the years have gone by I've found greater dissonance between how they grade games, and how I enjoy them. 3D Dot Game Heroes was blasted by these non-gamer hacks for allegedly ripping off Zelda. To me, it's an obvious homage, but even if it WAS a rip off, so what? I grew up playing Battle Toads, an obvious TMNT rip off. Andthat's just ONE example.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.72%
    They don't typically but I still read them. Often it's just to get another perspective on the game even if I know I am going to buy it no matter what. Though I will admit if the rating is really low there is probably a good reason and that may persuade me not to buy it or at least wait for a price drop or to eventually find a used copy.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.93%
    When I plan to get a game I read reviews. Not just review articles but reviews from people who bought the game on amazon and the like. Usually the worst first. Flaws in a game are fine but you can tell from a review if something is outright unworthy of the time or money. There is nothing wrong with borrowing the opinions of others when you haven't had a chance to create your own especially if it involves money. I do miss the old days when I used to go down to the pawn shop and just pick games that looked or sounded cool and found a great many treasures(Zoop, ActRaiser, etc) but I also found a lot of duds.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    36.02%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    When I plan to get a game I read reviews. Not just review articles but reviews from people who bought the game on amazon and the like. Usually the worst first. Flaws in a game are fine but you can tell from a review if something is outright unworthy of the time or money. There is nothing wrong with borrowing the opinions of others when you haven't had a chance to create your own especially if it involves money. I do miss the old days when I used to go down to the pawn shop and just pick games that looked or sounded cool and found a great many treasures(Zoop, ActRaiser, etc) but I also found a lot of duds.
    Hi SUCCESSOR.:) We have kind of a quasi pawn shop where I live. They deal in new and used instruments, used video games, movies, etc. They have a healthy selection of titles from the snes right up to the ps3. I am so grateful for used titles and the "Greatest Hits" thing. I couldn't afford laying down $50-60 for each and every title I wanted if buying and selling them used for some stupid reason was prohibited by law.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.1%
    Oddly enough, it depends on whether or not the reviews are good or bad. I tend to pay more attention to bad reviews - even if a game looks interesting, if the reviews describe it as a broken mess, I tend to avoid it. On the other hand, if a game gets good reviews, I tend not to pay attention - there are plenty of games with great reviews that I just never really got into. Not necessarily because they were bad, mind you, they just weren't my cup of tea for whatever reason. I just find that tastes are so varied and personal that you really can't tell if you're going to enjoy a game from reviews, and so I use them more to determine if the games actually function as intended. After that, it's up to you to decide whether or not that kind of game appeals to you.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.44%
    If its a game that I'm interested in I'll try to read some reviews before I think about sinking money into said game.
    Most of the time though if the game is cheap enough I'll just buy and added it to my collection of random games.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.32%
    The less I know about a game, the more it affects my decision.

Like, a Tales game gets bad reviews that all say "Oh it's so cliche and Japanese!" Who cares they're all like that and I liked the previous ones. But if there's a game I've never heard of and a lot of people are saying it's really great, that's going to get my attention.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.48%
    Quote Originally Posted by Jirin View Post
    The less I know about a game, the more it affects my decision.

Like, a Tales game gets bad reviews that all say "Oh it's so cliche and Japanese!" Who cares they're all like that and I liked the previous ones. But if there's a game I've never heard of and a lot of people are saying it's really great, that's going to get my attention.
    @Jirin sums up my feelings nicely. If it's a franchise I know and enjoy, I'll probably get it regardless (For example, despite shitty reviews, both professionally and fan-written, I liked Final Fantasy XIII; I think it had a pretty damn awesome story, and while the linearity was stupid, I could look past it). Likewise, a game I probably never would have bought, Ni No Kunai, only got my attention after reviewers called it the return to grace for the jRPG. They were right, by the way :p

Though, of course, there are the odd games that had both low review scores and I had not had prior experience with that I would up just loving. The first seven Dot Hack games are brilliant, and Radiata Stories is still one of my favorite games of all time.

So, I guess, to answer the question: I consider reviews on new IPs or development studios I'm not familiar with... Otherwise, I ignore them. I don't need some guy at IGN to tell me the next Naughty Dog game is awesome, or that Just Dance 58 is garbage. Reviews are only good for finding otherwise hard-to-find gems.

Thread Information