Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%

What have I been up to?

I was pleasantly surprised earlier when I got a message from @ctrl-alt-delete so I thought I would pop in here and give an update for those who remember me.

So I am already in my 12th year teaching high school math, which is quite amazing since I joined here while I was working on my graduate work before I started my career. This year I am teaching Pre-Calculus (for the first time) and Algebra 2. I have been experimenting with a flipped classroom for my Algebra 2 classes which means I am spending a lot of my time outside of school to make videos on upcoming lessons. For their "homework" my students view the videos and take the notes they would normally do in class. During our class time they work on the assignment or other activities I have planned so they can ask questions in class to help them understand how to approach the problems better. It's amazing to see the level of mathematical discussion I have been having with some of my students this year, but it's a lot of work in the background to create and manage all the videos for the course. I have been putting in sometimes 14-16 hour days this year (or giving up entire weekends on top of that) to make sure I have everything set. This is on top of preparing to teach Pre-Calculus and I haven't seen some of those topics in almost 20 years if I even saw it in the first place. On top of my regular work I have also been putting in late days at school working basketball games (game clock/shot clock) which is nice because I will get some extra pay once I actually have time to fill out all the paperwork.

When I actually do have free time I may finally sit down a play a game or two. Lately it's been Zelda Randomizer. If you haven't seen this yet, get yourself over to Twitch.tv and check out some of the nightly races. I don't play it competitively because I'm really not that fast (I am way too much of a 100% gamer which I need to break) and my laptop is a few years old and isn't built to smoothly stream. It's a lot of fun though and if you haven't tried it look into it. Besides that I am still a die hard hockey fan even if my teams aren't playing that great.

So yeah, there you go. It's not much but it's my life so that's what's going on. I am hoping to drop in here a bit more often since I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Oh and I did pre-order a Switch. I know there wasn't a ton of excitement in the thread here but I am sometimes back and forth between Rochester and Buffalo so it would be nice to have something like this on the go more so than just my 3DS. I of course have Breath of the Wild coming as well as Bomberman. I am also interested in the retro gaming club idea that's bouncing around the boards over the past couple days so that will hopefully keep me coming back for more.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42%
    Hey, erm! Been a while! Forgot ya do a teaching thing. Hope to see ya around a bit more.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Thanks for the update, glad to hear things are going well. Your classroom flip thing seems pretty brilliant and I would wager it is way more engaging than the normal system.

Ive pretty much decided I'm getting a switch strictly for the resolution upgrade for Zelda. Besides, if that thing gets hacked...I can't imagine a better system for emulation. (Looks like a overpowered Shield.)

Hope you join the Gamer Club. Drop in every now and then.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    Thanks @mrz84

@ctrl-alt-delete I am actually downloading RetroArch now to see if I can get it set up and working in advance to I can try to join right from the beginning.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    Quote Originally Posted by erm2003 View Post
    Thanks @mrz84

@ctrl-alt-delete I am actually downloading RetroArch now to see if I can get it set up and working in advance to I can try to join right from the beginning.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-emulators/5/ might help with choosing the cores. I haven't experimented much but I can tell you bsnes Mercury balanced and mupen64 work brilliantly on my setup. Might be best for everybody to try multiple options and see what works best for them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/best-emulators/5/ might help with choosing the cores. I haven't experimented much but I can tell you bsnes Mercury balanced and mupen64 work brilliantly on my setup. Might be best for everybody to try multiple options and see what works best for them.
    The download file is rather large for me, over 100MB so I think it could have multiple options built in? I had to extract it was an rar program and it's slow with ads so it may be a while until I can do anything with it.

EDIT: Forget it, that was taking way too long. I am sure I can just download the emulators from the site as needed.
    Last edited by erm2003; 02-19-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    The download file is rather large for me, over 100MB so I think it could have multiple options built in? I had to extract it was an rar program and it's slow with ads so it may be a while until I can do anything with it.

EDIT: Forget it, that was taking way too long. I am sure I can just download the emulators from the site as needed.
    Sorry, I forget not everybody has internet as fast as mine. If finalizing the download is the problem, perhaps I can mail you a flash drive. If extracting was the problem, were you using the program 7-zip? It shouldn't have ads... http://www.7-zip.org/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    Sorry, I forget not everybody has internet as fast as mine. Did you get it downloaded and then have trouble extracting it? Were you using the program 7-zip? It shouldn't have ads...
    It wasn't an issue with the download size, I just didn't have a great app to extract it with. I am going to try some of the individual emulators instead. I have a feeling we will be sticking with just a few main systems at first anyway. I am most interested in trying out some NES, SNES, and Game Boy games that I never played before or maybe a few old favorites.

Btw, when I click on reply with quote and it goes into the quick reply box, I can't create spaces between words. I have to go to the advanced reply options just to get spaces to work. Odd.

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.77%
    It wasn't an issue with the download size, I just didn't have a great app to extract it with. I am going to try some of the individual emulators instead. I have a feeling we will be sticking with just a few main systems at first anyway. I am most interested in trying out some NES, SNES, and Game Boy games that I never played before or maybe a few old favorites.

Btw, when I click on reply with quote and it goes into the quick reply box, I can't create spaces between words. I have to go to the advanced reply options just to get spaces to work. Odd.
    I edited my post above after you replied, check it out again.

I assume you're using Chrome? It's a known bug and it only happens sometimes--I'm not sure what causes it honestly. Sorry. :/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.44%
    I edited my post above after you replied, check it out again.

I assume you're using Chrome? It's a known bug and it only happens sometimes--I'm not sure what causes it honestly. Sorry. :/
    Not a problem. Yes I am using Chrome. Some of the things I have to do for work are best used on this browser so that's why. It's not a big deal now that I know.

I will play around a bit more tomorrow setting up some stuff. Thanks for the link above. If I need to go that route I will install that program for the extraction.

Thread Information