Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.71%

Glitches, man!

I bought several games the other day. FFx, FFX-2, FFXII, and Tales of Symphonia. I brought my PS2 into the living room; it's been my bedroom dvd player. I've never beat any of these besides ToS. I Start playing FFX and get passed where the city blows up and see Auron and that creepy kid. Auron says "Look" and they stare off into nothing for almost 2 minutes and then Auron and Tidus merge into one being. Nothing! FUCK! I try a couple more times, same shit! Google it... yeah, yeah, yeah, glitch no fix, FUCK!

The only solutions out there are for a PS2 emulator. How can this be? There aren't any terrible scratches on the disk. Is there a way to copy a save file onto a memcard to skip that part? Why couldn't those bastards at Square just let us skip cutscenes?! I dunno. It cost me less than 5 bucks but I really wanted to play this game again.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.71%
    All the other PS2 games seem to work fine, so I don't think my PS2 is the problem. Maybe the lens needs cleaning...

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.98%
    Do you have a disc doctor (disc resurfacing buffer)? I've had problems with used games before that were remedied with a resurfacing, maybe you could pick one up from a used game shop and try it.

We even had old audio CDs that couldn't run anymore because of severe scratches that worked again after a buff in the disc doctor.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.71%
    No buffer. I can try the toothpaste method but I don't see any significant scratches. I was going to grab a dvd lens cleaner from Wally World but they want ten bucks for a disc with a brush thing on it. I may order one online for a few bucks if a few swabs of rubbing alcohol dont help. I could try both. I guess I could pick up some superfine sand paper and polishing solution.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.39%
    0_o That sounds like the creepiest glitch I have EVER seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.71%
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegix Drakan View Post
    0_o That sounds like the creepiest glitch I have EVER seen.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.2%
    I've found that PS2's hold up pretty well for a long time even though they are cheaply made, with the exception of two things: Depending on the air quality, lenses seem to dirty faster on a PS2 than any other console, and the tracks will build up gunk and wear out faster than any of the other parts. Both problems can give you similar symptoms such as slow loading, disk reading, whatever, but the latter can wreak havoc. You're going to have to take it apart for either one of these. What model do you have?

For the record I've gone through 2 previous PS2's, but the one I have now is a 2002(4?) model and the only reason it's still going strong is because I open it up and clean it every year. I wish I would've done the same to the first PS2 I owned; it would probably still be working!
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Karate guys for cash. Aegix Drakan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.39%
    Ok, that's less creepy than I thought. That just looks hugely aggravating. :s
    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez
    AGN is not meant for people who have lives. Come back home, turn the lights off and stare in awe at the glow that comes from the monitor.
    Do you enjoy challenging RPGs? Do you enjoy dark storylines? You'll like my game. Go on, it's not very long.
    You can download my game for free right here!
    Feedback on it would be nice. It'll help with future projects.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.35%
    I found something interesting about it here.
    This poster gives an explanation for the cause.
    If there is a smudge on the disc near the outside rim, the game will hang at this point. Instead of going to a frozen or black screen, you will see Tidus run and hide behind Auron, then they continue to look at a point off screen until you reset the game. That section of the game is rendered in regular graphics, not FMV (full motion video). What causes this? Changing sectors. The PS2 laser switches to the next sector of the DVD at the exact point Auron says "look". On a standard PS2, the cpu then calls up a preloaded FMV to mask the load time/sector change, like the random battle swirling or glass breaking cinematics.

Solution? Clean the discs, really well. Also look into getting a kit that can clean the laser/eye in your PS2. They should be relatively cheap to find. Even the slightest smudge or fingerprint on the disc can cause this to happen, so make sure everything is dust free, smudge free, and scratch free.
    I hope it's that simple so you don't have to spend money trying to make it work!

-Alternatively, you could spend 10 hours watching it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h_tiR5Ux9o
    Last edited by Xyvol; 02-13-2014 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Added video
    <- Play Triforce Quest!

"The greatness of one's sorrow when parting is the evidence of the deepness of one's love. So If one fears sadness, one wouldn't be able to love anything."
    -Belldandy, Oh My Goddess!

"Who cares if I'm a star up here?" - Minmei, Robotech
    "You bookahs worry too much about external appearances. It's what's inside your skull that counts." - Taimi, Guild Wars 2

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.71%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    I've found that PS2's hold up pretty well for a long time even though they are cheaply made, with the exception of two things: Depending on the air quality, lenses seem to dirty faster on a PS2 than any other console, and the tracks will build up gunk and wear out faster than any of the other parts. Both problems can give you similar symptoms such as slow loading, disk reading, whatever, but the latter can wreak havoc. You're going to have to take it apart for either one of these. What model do you have?

For the record I've gone through 2 previous PS2's, but the one I have now is a 2002(4?) model and the only reason it's still going strong is because I open it up and clean it every year. I wish I would've done the same to the first PS2 I owned; it would probably still be working!
    I may take it apart soon. It's a silver slim model. I dunno what year. I could take a closer look. If the drive is as fragile as you say I might have to clean the thing. Does it need lubricating after it is cleaned? I'll have to pick some up, if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyvol View Post
    I found something interesting about it here.
    This poster gives an explanation for the cause.

I hope it's that simple so you don't have to spend money trying to make it work!

-Alternatively, you could spend 10 hours watching it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h_tiR5Ux9o
    I had a feeling something like that was happening. It seems silly that the minor scratches on the disc could cause such a problem. Unless the drive is really dirty. I haven't noticed any play issues or bad load times before, though.

Thread Information