Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%

Favorite "bad" movie?

So I got to thinking, I really enjoyed the "Watchmen" movie, but many people see it as a flawed adaptation. So I thought it'd be fun to talk about movies that are "bad," in the sense that many people consider them technically flawed or unenjoyable, but which you personally happen to like. To be clear, I'm not talking about "so bad it's good," type movies. People talk about those all the time. I mean movies that are bad to where people say the movie just isn't fun to watch, but it happens to be a favorite of yours.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.13%
    I've heard Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children was bad. But I loved it and it gave far more meaning to Aeris sacraficing herself in the game as she wasn't mad at Cloud and in deed happy she could save the world.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.1%
    Coonskin, 1975. I gave this a bit of consideration, even typed up a list, and ultimately decided on this highly underrated Bakshi film based upon multiple criteria. Technically..., well let's just say even the cleaned up version looks like sixty year old film stock that was stored at the bottom of a lake, then dried in the sun. And then there is the subject matter. Some people consider it racist but I always find that to be a knee-jerk reaction from people who feel guilty about seeing black stereotypes. Yeah, it uses slang and stereotypes of the era but it uses them to illustrate that people are people and while cultures may differ, the dramatic themes that make up our lives are the same for everyone. Anyone familiar with Bakshi would recognize that it is a celebration of a unique culture in what should be a completely relatable way. So between the poor visual quality (if anyone finds a crisp digital copy, please let me know), and what many consider uncomfortable or objectionable content, it is my top choice.

I almost went with Santa Sangre except that even the "dirty" look of the film is perfect and Jodorowsky has no place on any "bad" film lists. Like Coonskin, the subject matter tends to disturb some people. And by people, I mean any guy who had a mother. People usually think I am exaggerating about this film. Then they watch it.

I took all films off the list that were technically flawed due to technical limitations of the time or social changes. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari is one of my all time favourites and the hokey looking set is anything but if one appreciates the gestalt art movement of the day. The twist is not such a twist anymore as it has been repeated ad nauseum over the decades yet it is brilliant when considering it was fresh when it was originally filmed. Roman Scandals is another, also with a M. Night Shyamalan-style ending, that looks its age and has some "uncomfortable" moments. Feminists hate this film. I also removed a couple of other musicals, Popeye and Paint Your Wagon being the first two to go, because they are technically fine and I do not consider musical numbers flaws. Phantom of the Paradise almost stayed on the list but it's technical flaws are minor and the dated nature of the songs was intentional for the story.

And in no particular order, the films that survived to the short list:

Vamp
    Highlander 2
    Ichi the Killer
    Dead Alive
    Hell Comes To Frogtown
    Repo Man
    Reefer Madness
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%
    Heh, I'm actually kind of surprised that Phantom of the Paradise isn't rated lower than it is. I mean, don't get me wrong, I thought that movie was great, even if it is more Faust than Phantom, but it's something that I would expect for critics to tear it apart. Can't really put my finger on why I'd expect that, other than that it's so different from what people might expect of an adaptation for Phantom of the Opera.
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.66%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
    I am too scared to watch that movie after seeing it in Portlandia.

My big movie confession is that I enjoyed the Star Wars prequels. I know they suck, I know they are not good, I have read all the insightful and lengthy criticisms, and I can even vaguely detect the cringe-worthy moments. Don't care. Still like them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%
    You know, I think everyone enjoyed the Star Wars prequels at least somewhat. No, they weren't masterpieces, no, they didn't even hold up to the original trilogy (and let's be honest, it's not like the original trilogy didn't have its problems, either). But we all sat through all three movies. We bitch and groan, but we had to have been at least somewhat entertained if we kept watching them. Hell, I've seen the prequels more times than I can count, and yet I still can't admit that I enjoy them even a little, which obviously I'd have to if I kept rewatching them.

EDIT: Oh, that reminds me, I'd totally have to add Spider-man 3 to the list. Everyone thought it was over the top and ridiculous, too many villains, emo Peter Parker, etc., but to me, it all just made it feel like I was really watching a screen adaptation of a comic book. I mean, for better or for worse, comics have that kind of thing happen all the time. I felt like the movie was kind of an acknowledgement of that. Villain team-ups? Personal drama? New costumes? Heroes just acting kinda dumb? These are staples of comic books.
    Last edited by rock_nog; 04-27-2014 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.1%
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Heh, I'm actually kind of surprised that Phantom of the Paradise isn't rated lower than it is. I mean, don't get me wrong, I thought that movie was great, even if it is more Faust than Phantom, but it's something that I would expect for critics to tear it apart. Can't really put my finger on why I'd expect that, other than that it's so different from what people might expect of an adaptation for Phantom of the Opera.
    It's Faust, it's Phantom of the Paradise, it's The Picture of Dorian Grey, it's a searing indictment of the music industry of the day and the pop culture marketing machine behind it. Try not to get hung up on the name; they could only reference one thing with the title. Hmm, "The Tragical History of the Picture of the Phantom of the Paradise on American Bandstand," might have been interesting on a movie poster. Fun fact: Paul Williams who played Swan (the antagonist) and wrote the songs, created The Love Boat theme as well as the Muppet Movie soundtrack.
    "The public is wonderfully tolerant. It forgives everything except genius."

Glenn the Great: I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl.

"Live and Let Live" is an excellent, tree-hugging philosophy, but it doesn't do much when the ones you refuse to kill are dragging you down with them.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.37%
    EDIT: Decided I might have been being trollish. Sorry.

My favorite "bad" movie remains Tank Girl, which is tied for first place as my all-time favorite film. A close second is the third Mummy movie (Dragon Emperor).
    Last edited by CJC; 04-27-2014 at 06:22 PM. Reason: removed SW trolling

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    38.73%
    I rather liked Predator 2.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.2%
    Don't misunderstand, I got nothing against it, just thought it was kinda funny how the title doesn't really fully convey what the movie is about. Like, it seems like it's just gonna be a straight-up modernization of Phantom, but then it adds so much more (for the better, in my opinion - without the extras, there would be no Swan, and the movie wouldn't be half as entertaining without Swan - just such a great villain).

Thread Information