40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    I know, they're still there as an anti-grinding technique.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.64%
    finally came back to this one. it was one of the first ones i started playing, and it was kicking my ass, so i moved on to other things. i guess playing a lot of the contest entries has upped my skills because it was a breeze when i returned. maybe i should replay the beginning levels, but i'm thinking that the last few levels (7,8,9) were a lot easier than the initial levels. i enjoyed the level design of the later levels a lot more than the initial ones - but overall i found the levels to be very linear. would have liked to see more new enemies in the early levels, you have to wait to end game to see many of them. the biggest takeaway that i'd like to see other quests doing is the minibosses that return - a lot of the contest quests are too easy to just kill the minibosses, go refill potions, and come back and dance through the rest of the level, not yours.

i think a lot of the competitors used the enemy editor a lot more creatively, and their enemies stood out more. your 8-way wizzrobe was a good addition, as were the boomerang resistant enemies. sword throwing darknuts needed to be turned up a notch, others have did them better. but thank god your lvl2 likelikes aren't beasts like some of the others - i wasn't even close to heart attack territory.

obviously, you lost a lot of authenticity points with all the new ideas - slash trees, bomb blocks, armos&trees in dungeons, etc. but the new ideas were fun to play (well, maybe not the slash bush, that was a little esoteric).

difficulty wise, you fall somewhere in the middle, by no means the easier or hardest, but definitely on the harder end of the scale. as mentioned difficulty balance was a bit off, bump up the later levels a bit and you'd be right on the mark.

is your demo version available to public? i wouldn't mind running through it again, and wouldn't mind more flexible rules.

Gel
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.62%
    Another quest done. This one was very good in most respects, but unfortunately there are several flaws that ruin the full impact. After reading this thread, I think that the flaws were, in several instances, introduced when the in-dungeon graphics were changed. I'll get to that when I comment on dungeon quality.

The rundown:
    Riddler: The clues given in each dungeon, leading to the next, were very well done. With one exception, I always knew where to go next. That exception was dungeon 2. I think the clue to it is from the cave in the bottom row, 6th screen, but that was a bit vague. It implies that a clue from a previous quest needs to be reexamined, but there are so many such clues that it really didn't narrow things down. In fact, I only found the dungeon by accident! That flaw is what gives this a rating of 4/5 here (it would have been at least a 4.5 otherwise)

Difficulty: this was a tricky quest. The creatures were hard, but generally fair, and the difficulty progressed well throughout. Again, only one thing keeps this from being truly great, and that is the tedium factor. In a few dungeons - most notably 8 and 9 - difficult rooms regenerate their creatures. I'm thinking primarily of the level-2-bat-shooting wizrobes, and the gleeok in dungeon 9. When it is likely that you will have to go through these rooms multiple times- either because there are traps sending you back to the start, or the dungeon requires long retraces of the path, having to fight these extra times becomes annoying. again 4/5 in this category.

clever bosses: well, nothing special here. They are, for the most part, simply stronger versions of the original forms. I think the few times that there were other creatures mixed in with the bosses was an interesting touch, but it also makes the bosses seem less boss-like. 2.5/5

interesting enemies: there must have been about 10 types of wizrobes throughout this map. A few modified forms of others, but nothing spectacular. 3/5 here.

dungeon quality: the dungeons were very nicely done- I particularly liked the way dungeon 9 was set up. Some dungeons were better than others in their layout, though. Two dungeons in particular had what I consider major flaws, and these are dungeons 1 and 3, because they can trap you with no way out but to quit. In dungeon 1, it is because of the bombable walls that return when you leave and reenter a room. If you run out of bombs (as I did), you are trapped. In dungeon 3, if you choose the wrong path first, you can get to a room that has a 1-way path in, but requires the ladder to get out; the ladder is found elsewhere in the dungeon, but you can easily go the wrong way. Also, there is the classic trap- a shutter-door room with 3 dodongos. If you don't have sufficient bombs (or just get unlucky with killing those dinos), you can again get stuck here.Note that you cannot assume that creatures that often drop bombs WILL drop them. You should never have a dungeon where you can get stuck.
    I mentioned above that there were problems likely introduced when the dungeon graphics were modified. It appears that there were originally boulders within dungeon 6 that required the upgraded bracelet to push. When they were changed to ordinary blocks, there was no longer any reason to try pushing them AFTER getting the bracelet, if you already had tried before. This makes finding some paths very frustrating.
    Overall, I can only give a 2/5 for this category, and that is a shame, because the working parts of the dungeons were very good.

overall appearance / NES feel: I think it did very well with this, and it definitely could fit nicely as an "official" 5th quest. 4/5 here.

Overall, I enjoyed the quest, despite the few headaches mentioned above. It gets an overall 3.35 / 5 rating which puts it in the lead out of the 4 contest quests I have played so far.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Batrobe bug squished. Batrobe rooms should no longer spawn more than 8 enemies on the screen at a time.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    OK, I have uploaded my final version, as I would like to see it presented when all said and done.

Here is the changelog from the people who played it the first time:

1. A "sweeper" script is now implemented for Batrobes so they play fair.
    2. @CJC 's Ganon Battle has been consolidated into the final battle room
    3. @Imzogelmo 's Mini Dodongos have been implemented in two spots: Level 2 and Level 9 (one of which for balance reasons)
    4. Some balance changes in Level 2 to make it play more fair and reduce the possibility of getting stuck.

The original version is still available for those who want to play it before the changes were made. The Demo version has now been taken down since I am in the finals.

Check the OP for the download link.

Enjoy people!

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Keese
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.67%
    James I can't enter level 2. I'm able to in an older version of the quest but not in the new release can you look in to this.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Ugh, thought this was yours Mischa's, ugh.

Anyway, Lv. 2: You need a "new" way of opening a new secret. Check my YouTube channel if you need help.

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    OK, I did indeed goof, putting the wrong tree combo there.

FIXED! RE-DOWNLOAD!

-James

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:

Gel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.14%
    @Nightmare
    your quest is sexay, and so are you
    You can no more evade my cock than you can your own shadow.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    28.72%
    So, IS bigjoe doing a Let's Play of this quest?

Thread Information