User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you plan on making a 5th entry?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 58.82%
  • No

7 41.18%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fifth Quest Planning and Discussion

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76.2%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    One problem is that a good custom quest with all the bells and whistles could take years. It just doesn't make for a good contest because it is an almost impossible task for one person. By comparison, a (many) good 5th quest(s) is totally doable in a reasonable amount of time, and because the tools are all rudimentary and easy to use ZQuest features, it can be a fun and not all-consuming experience as well.

Take a look at neofirst, which was in development since 2006, and that may or may not be completed anytime soon.
    Then why don't you put a development cap on it, say, six months? I know there will be the people that wait until the last minute, but if you give them a scope of six months they can plan it out and start planning things out and determining what they can and cannot do: That's how I'd approach it.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.97%
    Better?
    No. It is still strict and I disagree with it. It will only discourage possible entrants.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94%
    Argh, now that I've seen it, I must answer!

This is a toughie, because psychologically, if I say 'no', that will make me want to do it. However, if I say 'yes', I'll feel like I'm doing it out of obligation instead of fun, so I'll begrudge it. I have some good ideas for dungeons and such, and the challenge of working within the restrictions of the slightly-beyond-4th-quest rules does appeal to me, but am I going to have the time? Probably not.

I could certainly make a good dungeon or maybe 2. I have no trouble tuning it to be easy or hard. But a whole quest? I'm not sure if I'll have time to do it to the level of quality that is needed.

So... I'd probably be better as a player or judge. And maybe I'll decide to throw a hat in the ring, but probably not. For now, put me down as a 'no.'

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.97%
    How are judges in short supply for a contest that hasn't started? I also don't see how you can get an estimate anywhere close considering it hasn't been announced officially or announced at all at PureZC. Judges and Judging method don't even need to be set until entries are starting to be accepted. If people are given a month(at least) to make their entry then we have a month to get judges and decide on the best way for the community to vote. The contest needs to be officially announced(here and at purezc) before this poll/thread will yield any relevant information.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.12%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    How are judges in short supply for a contest that hasn't started? I also don't see how you can get an estimate anywhere close considering it hasn't been announced officially or announced at all at PureZC. Judges and Judging method don't even need to be set until entries are starting to be accepted. If people are given a month(at least) to make their entry then we have a month to get judges and decide on the best way for the community to vote. The contest needs to be officially announced(here and at purezc) before this poll/thread will yield any relevant information.
    Well for starters, entrants cannot also judge because there would be bias. Secondly, how would you like to play through 10 full length quests in a limited amount of time? If the time restraints on the 4th contest weren't so tight we would've seen 8 entries for that, and even with the 6 that made it, real life issues crept up on half of those responsible for judging the thing, with a few dropping out entirely. This led to the longest "waiting for a result" period only trumped by Duke Nukem Forever. On top of that some of the quests were so close, each in a different way, it was very difficult to decide. I'm just trying to not repeat past mistakes here.

Plus, isn't there the matter of possibly organizing a community quest in the future?

...Wait, weren't you one of the people that suggested a similar voting method in chat?

Quote Originally Posted by Imzogelmo View Post
    Argh, now that I've seen it, I must answer!

This is a toughie, because psychologically, if I say 'no', that will make me want to do it. However, if I say 'yes', I'll feel like I'm doing it out of obligation instead of fun, so I'll begrudge it. I have some good ideas for dungeons and such, and the challenge of working within the restrictions of the slightly-beyond-4th-quest rules does appeal to me, but am I going to have the time? Probably not.

I could certainly make a good dungeon or maybe 2. I have no trouble tuning it to be easy or hard. But a whole quest? I'm not sure if I'll have time to do it to the level of quality that is needed.

So... I'd probably be better as a player or judge. And maybe I'll decide to throw a hat in the ring, but probably not. For now, put me down as a 'no.'
    lol. The "no" is mostly useless anyway. :tongue2: You are not obligated either way.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 08-10-2013 at 01:57 AM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.41%
    Or encourage entrants to be more creative with how they use the items they've already got.
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.41%
    I'd really like to say yes, but honestly, I'm not sure I'm up to doing it, I'm not a very good player, so making a "challenging" quest is really hard for me to judge, and I usually end up giving people something way beyond hard. Like Wizzrobes in level one or some stupid shit like that. (Ok, I usually don't do that, but I HAVE been known to give people a room with 2 level 3 stalfos, 2 level 3 goriyas, 2 L2 ropes, 2 bomb octoroks, although I DID cut their HP to 8, and 2 bats... in level 2), Plus, I'm really very busy with Trials of the Gods. Still I really would like to give it a try... I tend to have really good idea, it's just my execution that's lacking. Maybe if I find the time I'll try to do one. I guess put me down as a "maybe"

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.97%
    Well for starters, entrants cannot also judge because there would be bias. Secondly, how would you like to play through 10 full length quests in a limited amount of time? If the time restraints on the 4th contest weren't so tight we would've seen 8 entries for that, and even with the 6 that made it, real life issues crept up on half of those responsible for judging the thing, with a few dropping out entirely. This led to the longest "waiting for a result" period only trumped by Duke Nukem Forever. On top of that some of the quests were so close, each in a different way, it was very difficult to decide. I'm just trying to not repeat past mistakes here.
    Obviously entrants cant judge...

I misunderstood the point of this thread when I replied.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.97%
    Quote Originally Posted by lineas View Post
    Or encourage entrants to be more creative with how they use the items they've already got.
    I guess. Don't look for the boomerang early on in my quest though.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.41%
    Oh, I totally agree, I'd be putting it in level 5-6, and the magic one in 8 or 9, if it were me.

Thread Information