User Tag List

Thread: The Next Gen Consoles, where do you stand?

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.41%

The Next Gen Consoles, where do you stand?

I suppose I should start with a link or a video or something, but you guys can just Google it if you like. I want to talk about the impending PS4 and XBOX 720, as well as the already-on-market Wii-U.

First, I HATE the advent of touch-screen technology in this looming eighth generation of systems. I've always had a dislike for the greasy and inaccurate medium of finger input, and having it be a mandatory component of game-play skeeves me out. The Wii-U does have the Stylus as an alternative, but without a third hand to hold it the touch capacities impair the ability to use the system's buttons. It might be nice to see a 'thimble stylus' you could place on your thumb or index to make quick taps on the touch-screen as necessary.
    FYI, I don't own this system, a friend does.

Second, I'm not on board with PS4's and XBOX 720's squeeze-out on used games. When a system becomes obsolete or a company goes out of business, players must turn to used games to revisit classics they missed or could not afford at the time. These 'activation' codes that the PS4 and XBOX 720 are presenting as 'security features' are just going to prevent any of the games on these consoles from becoming memorable hits. ...I dunno, maybe it's about waves and waves of cheesy remakes, but even that causes good games to fall through the cracks and be forever unobtainable.

I'm bailing out of the console wars this time. I've got a pretty powerful gaming computer now, so any games that pique my interest will be going on the hard drive. What are your opinions on this situation? Do you know anything that I might have missed?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.68%
    I haven't really researched or read anything that makes me want to go out and buy one of the new consoles at launch. I'm probably going to sit back and wait to see which one I'll want to play at a later time.
    Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory

--------------------------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube channel! I'm doing video game reviews and retrospectives from the NES/SNES eras.
    I also now have a webpage: www.braselthegamer.com
    Contributor for Gaming Rebellion! Columnist of the new series Breakdown!

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.94%
    PS4: DRM out the ass and a hefty price tag for lame generic and/or badly-made "exclusives"
    nextbox: same as PS4 except cheaper and the DRM is worse.
    Wii-U: great games and hackability for the cheapest of the three. you can take your HD and shove it up your arse, you cancerous modern-gaming plague!

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.41%
    Quote Originally Posted by Majora View Post
    You can take your HD and shove it up your arse, you cancerous modern-gaming plague!
    Elaborate, please. What's wrong with abandoning consoles for the computer? I've got a usb controller that can do the same thing any game console controller can (provided the game allows for mapping, which some of them don't), I can acquire certain games through services like Steam, so that I don't need the disk in the system to play them (I think that's how it works... it's been a while since I purchased a computer game), and I have access to the vast empires of modding communities. The only drawback I can perceive is insufficient system resources, which I don't see happening any time soon with my new computer.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.18%
    PS4 with a X86-64 processor and 8gb RAM. If any console has ever had the capacity to be able to have ports of just about any game ever, this is it I think.

I sure hope these don't get fucked up with online-required/activate-to-play/other stupid DRM bs.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.33%
    I've yet to aquire/play a PS3, and with the knowledge that the PS4's specs make it impossible to be backwards compatible so I could just buy it, is a turn off for me. Also, the online all the time and other BS also kills it for me. Unless they have some must-have, kick-ass exclusives, I'll skip it.

The Nextbox? Porbably the same, though since we've heard even LESS about it then the PS4, I'll have to wait for more details.

WiiU. Ya, its more current Gen with its specs (or at least what haters and the like I've seen elsewhere claim), but it has barely been out for half a year yet. I'd give it time and see where it goes, though some of the games it has current;y are tempting (ZombieU for one and the upcominf Fire Emblem crossover as well)
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.67%
    iPhone beats all 3. Google trends prove that nobody cares about console games no more. At least not when it compares to leading computers and tablets.

Why do you think consoles are changing.

Console wars are dead, it's consoles vs. tablets now. The more the consoles try to compete against each other, the more apple, Samsung, and android will wipe them out of business. ESPECIALLY if the 3rd party companies who make video games follow this new age trend.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.74%
    I'm not looking forward to new consoles. I've been a PC gamer for a long time now.

Thread Information