Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.47%

Backwards

I was working on my first dungeon (about 2/3 done) and when testing it in ZC I encountered a slight problem--when I enter the dungeon, Link will show up on the arrival square but he'll be facing down, towards the door, instead of up as he should be. I thought it might be because the dungeon entrance is a stairway under a burnable bush (which can be entered from any direction), but this seems to happen no matter which way I go in from.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.39%
    If you're using the dungeon entrance warp type, the arrival square needs to be at the edge of the screen, otherwise bad things like what you have described happen (Because the engine expects Link to step into the room).

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.47%
    Do I need to put it directly inside the doorway? I have it on the square just above the door, which is as close as I can get it. It must have something to do with warp exit tiles always leaving Link facing south (like after exiting an item cellar or passageway).
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.39%
    Yeah, it needs to be inside the doorway. For example, on the south wall if the door is center-screen you'll want to place the warp return at (120,180). You shouldn't have a problem placing the warp return in the doorway like that, though, especially if you're using a default tileset.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.47%
    I'm using the standard NES-style tileset. Once I've familiarized myself with the engine a little more, I'll try making a quest using one of the more modern-looking tilesets, but that's a ways off yet. I haven't even finished my first dungeon. I think my first quest attempt will be the tutorial game but with my own twists. For example, the fire boomerang will be available to players--if they can find it.

One other question--is it possible to have more than one "secret" type place on a screen? For example, move an Armos statue to find some free Rupess, then bomb the wall above it to find a cave with a Heart Container.
    Last edited by TheDarkOne; 12-02-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.47%
    I tried putting it directly in the doorway as you suggested, but he still faces the wrong way, and because of the "stepping forward" motion, he walks right back out of the dungeon. I don't know what's causing him to be facing the wrong way...the sword cave and shop, as well as a couple of secret caves, all work right. Of course, those aren't actually DMaps like the dungeon.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.03%
    Is the warp on the screen with the stairs set to Entrance/Exit?

Make sure the warp point is set to 120, 160. If you set the Y coordinate to 168 or 152 Link won't walk up.
    Last edited by SUCCESSOR; 12-01-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Confusion

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.47%
    Yes, it is set that way on both the overworld entrance screen and the dungeon entry screen. As for the warp point co-ordinates, I don't know how to check them

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.03%
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
    Yes, it is set that way on both the overworld entrance screen and the dungeon entry screen. As for the warp point co-ordinates, I don't know how to check them
    How you set the warp on the overworld entrance should be irrelevant (as lost as it's not a pit warp or something that ignores arrival coordinates). Cave (Walk-up), Cave(Walk-down) and Stairs should all work just fine if the Warp Point in the dungeon's first screen is set in the right place. The Warp point on the overworld screen doesn't have any effect on the dungeon.

On the Screen Panel(9) you see Warp Point A, B, C, and D. Assuming you are using Warp A the two numbers below it are X on top and Y on bottom. Y should be 160. You can set the Warp point lower than that(further in the door) but that won't work right and neither will further up. Whether or not the X value is relevant I don't know but I am assuming you are using a typical Zelda 1 dungeon so the door is probably in the center. If you aren't using the Warp point A just make sure you have everything set up for the right Warp Point A B C & D all work the same(A has some additional uses but thats a topic for later). If you are using the Green Arrival point you shouldn't be. Put that back on 0,0 (the topleft most point) and make sure "Use Warp Points only" (or something like that) is checked.

* The Green Arrival point only exists in 2.5 for backwards compatibility with quests made with older versions of ZC.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.47%
    Thanks for the info, but I actually figured out what I was doing wrong. I had the arrival point in the doorway one square higher than the edge of the screen. I moved it and now it works. Should have known that; he enters from the edge of the screen so of course the arrival point would go there. I feel kind of silly, now....

Thread Information