1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%
    One thing I've been thinking about recently, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong....

I've been seeing and reading some things about people saying the next gen Sony and MS consoles will make Wii U obsolete immediately. While it's probably true the next machines from Sony and MS will be more powerful than the Wii U, my question is, does it matter much? I mean, the production costs of most "blockbuster" games are so high now, and they already look incredible, how much more will developers want to squeeze out? Until production costs can drop, anyway. The thing I'm more interested in is CPU horsepower and system memory. Let's allow games to be way more complex and run smoother. Graphics won't matter this generation nearly as much as they did last time. I think the Wii U will be able to keep up, visually, with most 3rd party games developed for the next MS and Sony consoles. I do think Nintendo is going to do well this generation. Though, I could be wrong :p

Armageddon Task Manager

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    12.14%
    Played Rayman at Best Buy. It was pretty awesome, but I wish you could have messed around with the system software.

It will still be a while before I get one.

<SUCCESSOR> Its Shadowblazer's dark essence invading the forums

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.76%
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    One thing I've been thinking about recently, and please someone correct me if I'm wrong....

I've been seeing and reading some things about people saying the next gen Sony and MS consoles will make Wii U obsolete immediately. While it's probably true the next machines from Sony and MS will be more powerful than the Wii U, my question is, does it matter much? I mean, the production costs of most "blockbuster" games are so high now, and they already look incredible, how much more will developers want to squeeze out? Until production costs can drop, anyway. The thing I'm more interested in is CPU horsepower and system memory. Let's allow games to be way more complex and run smoother. Graphics won't matter this generation nearly as much as they did last time. I think the Wii U will be able to keep up, visually, with most 3rd party games developed for the next MS and Sony consoles. I do think Nintendo is going to do well this generation. Though, I could be wrong :p
    Your friends are biased against Nintendo. They feel Nintendo is uncool, and they wanna be cool, so they say things such as this.

People has been saying these things about Nintendo since the Gamecube.

Certainly, for the market that Sony and Microsoft attracts, this bias appears real because they befriend like minded people. So they drink at homes where Nintendo is obsolete, they agree to each other it's obsolete, and in reality they will have enough evidence to support their beliefs.

Chances are, you'll see people turning to their ps3's and the X-Boxes 360's over their Wii-U's, and that's previous gen. Why? They offer things that Wii-U don't. But does that make Wii-U obsolete? Not at all. Does that make it's competition better? Not really.

Comparing Nintendo to Sony is now madness anyways. That's like comparing a microwave and a DVD player. Okay, I admit it's more of a comparison than that, but still.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.89%
    Quote Originally Posted by NewJourneysFire View Post
    Your friends are biased against Nintendo. They feel Nintendo is uncool, and they wanna be cool, so they say things such as this.

People has been saying these things about Nintendo since the Gamecube.
    In most cases I would completely agree with you here. This has been ongoing for years but if you look at everything from a distance, Nintendo has always been pushing consoles that have lower specs than their competitors. This is a fact and can been seen in the numbers.

What Nintendo is selling on the Wii U is hardware and specs that are above and beyond the 360 and PS3. After Nintendo showed off the Wii U for the first time, Microsoft and Sony announced their new consoles at the next show, and of course their specs were higher. So when the 720 and PS4 or whatever they will be called finally launch then their hardware WILL be better than the Wii U. It doesn't necessarily make it obsolete but if someone is always looking for the gaming system that offers the highest specs, it will never be a Nintendo system. That's the way it is but it's also important to realize that having the highest specs has never been Nintendo's goal in designing a system and it probably never will be.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.76%
    That sounds like you are agreeing with me. Lol

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    16.89%
    What I was trying to say was that just because they make those comments doesn't mean they are biased against Nintendo. What they are saying is completely the truth.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    1.44%
    I don't want to start a debate, but I believe Nintendo hatred is unnecessary. Many Nintendo fans always seem to ask "Why don't Nintendo just do what X-Box and Playstatiom does?". Than I just always wonder in response "Why don't you just buy a Playstation or X-Box?"

[stuff]

Nintendo today seems to have finally broke the (it's all about great games), and instead are focusing on making entertaining electronics, not video games.

[more stuff]
    CAD is right, in that some of my anger is at the failure to revitalize Majora's Mask like they did Ocarina of Time. That was the primary deterrent from my purchase of a 3DS (Well, that and money).
    My other points of anger are in regards to Twilight Princess (an unfounded rage) and the Wii in general (a founded rage)

About Twilight Princess:
    I reserved the game for the GameCube. At the time, I had no intention of ever owning the Wii. But Nintendo released the game for the Wii first, delaying the GameCube release by months and rendering my reservation pointless.
    I know why they did this; they had a new system and tacking on a big title early was necessary to avoid competing with their own intellectual property. It's reasonable from a business perspective, but it still pissed me off.

About the Wii in General:
    I'm an omnivorous gamer. I'll play just about any game, from Circus Atari to Halo (Call of Duty and other pure FPS are the one exception). In that avenue I was quite excited about the Wii, albeit not immediately, because it presented an entirely new avenue of gaming. However, throughout the lifespan of the system Nintendo failed to produce more than a handful of games (I mean literally, the limitation being what you could hold in your hand, including the cases) that properly utilized the technology. They were lazy with the advancement, and they didn't convince other game companies to properly explore the technology. It was a waste of a promising console.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    65.8%
    I'd like to point out that when I say I've been reading things, I mean just that. Posts by some industry analysts, like that asshat Pachter. Like I said in my post, the complaints don't really matter.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    22.21%
    Well, as a Nintendo fan, it would be lying to say I like the touch screen and motion controls. I want Nintendo to go back to having a joystick or two and a few buttons. A game doesn't need to have new control schemes to be fun. Personally I have found the last three Zelda games gimmicky because it relied so much on touch screen and motion controls. And this is coming from a guy who listed Zelda as his personal favorite video game series of all time.

Also am I the only one who thinks Wii U sounds a bit... random? Something like "Wii Advance" would have been better. But that's me.
    Last edited by Shane; 11-18-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Thread Information