User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ability to edit password protected quests

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    I forget who did it, but nintendo is well aware of our existence and because of us they're proceeds have probably increased for zelda games. I stopped playing Zelda games after MM; I hated that game. It wasn't Until I came across ZC that I started buying the zelda products again out of regret.

I'm with Isana The thing about the password system is that it exist because some of the graphics, music, sound effects created are custom by their authors. Case and point. Also let me remind you that although PM painstakingly extracted everything using roms his original intention was to draw the tiles by hand guys.
    Last edited by Tamamo; 07-28-2015 at 12:11 AM.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.96%
    Tamamo: It was Nintendo Power. Particularly an issue about the upcoming (then) release of Twilight Princess. They had highlights of various games and they did mention Zelda Classic as a "Fan program that lets you make your own dungeons" (paraphrased). I still have the issue around here somewhere.

ZoriaRPG: There is a difference between plagiarism and fair use. No one here or at the other ZC communities is claiming ownership of the characters or the ripped graphics, and for the most part they aren't making these projects without giving credit to the source material. I mean, the program required to run quest files is called ZELDA Classic; there isn't a dispute that the ideas we share are based off Nintendo's intellectual property.
    You are also correct that people can rip graphics, sounds, and music from games relatively easily. However, your jab about music and sound effects isn't entirely warranted: there ARE members of the community who compose original music for their projects and there ARE members of the community who record custom sound effects for their project. Their inclusion in a work that also contains Nintendo intellectual property does not invalidate their creator's ownership.

All that said, the password protection system remains as an effort to be polite. Yes, there are ways around password protection. However, by HAVING password protection you tell others "Hey, I'd rather you didn't take these assets". If they do anyway, well, the only power we have as a community is the power to shun. Some users have come to depend on the expectation that a password will be enough to maintain this social construct, and the AGN staff agreed that password protection should remain for this reason.
    In other words, it exists as a sign of community trust (or perhaps distrust) and it will continue to do so.

EDIT: FYI, Zelda Classic is not a pirated copy of Zelda 1. It was reverse-engineered: there IS a difference.
    I'll elaborate. Take someone who is trying to learn to program video games. What is one of the first tasks they should conduct? Make a copy of Breakout or Pong. Why? Because it's a game that works, it is identifiable, and it is a relatively easy goal to accomplish. The creators of Zelda Classic did the same thing: they took an old game that was a close favorite and used it to learn how to program (That's why so much of the content behind the curtain is a mess). Was sharing it unethical? That I can't say. But it was created as an homage to a classic, not an attempt to steal content from a major corporation. I believe (or rather hope) that most people who use the program recognize this.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    Yeah CJC pretty much said it. If someone stills assets from a quest without permission they're likely going to have stones thrown to them or worst blastlisted by the community as someone not to make a deal with.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    Tamamo: It was Nintendo Power. Particularly an issue about the upcoming (then) release of Twilight Princess. They had highlights of various games and they did mention Zelda Classic as a "Fan program that lets you make your own dungeons" (paraphrased). I still have the issue around here somewhere.

ZoriaRPG: There is a difference between plagiarism and fair use. No one here or at the other ZC communities is claiming ownership of the characters or the ripped graphics, and for the most part they aren't making these projects without giving credit to the source material. I mean, the program required to run quest files is called ZELDA Classic; there isn't a dispute that the ideas we share are based off Nintendo's intellectual property.
    You are also correct that people can rip graphics, sounds, and music from games relatively easily. However, your jab about music and sound effects isn't entirely warranted: there ARE members of the community who compose original music for their projects and there ARE members of the community who record custom sound effects for their project. Their inclusion in a work that also contains Nintendo intellectual property does not invalidate their creator's ownership.

All that said, the password protection system remains as an effort to be polite. Yes, there are ways around password protection. However, by HAVING password protection you tell others "Hey, I'd rather you didn't take these assets". If they do anyway, well, the only power we have as a community is the power to shun. Some users have come to depend on the expectation that a password will be enough to maintain this social construct, and the AGN staff agreed that password protection should remain for this reason.
    In other words, it exists as a sign of community trust (or perhaps distrust) and it will continue to do so.
    There is a difference between plagiarism and fair use.
    Emphasis on this: Plagiarism here, is implied to the story content. Opening a game with the same story as OoT, or Z3, and the same elements, is plagiarism, not 'fair use'. It's also a violation of moral rights, at least in Europe. Copying graphics would be a similar breach of moral rights.

The point is, that the password system is stymieing development of ZC itself. I won't quote from confidential letters, but believe me, it's a problem. If you don't believe me, ask the developers.

There is no viable solution to making ZC open source, and keeping a password system, and IMO, it's just childish to maintain it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.67%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    A password on the quest, does not protect the graphics, at all. A player can screenshot, and thus rip, anything in a game that they want to rip. The password system is also entirely pointless, as there are tools for removing the password from 2.5 quests, and older quests too. if people want something, there is no way to prevent them from getting it; except for un-compiled ZScript, not stored in a buffer. (They can dissect a .qt0 file and try to recover the ZASM from it.) I believe a ZASM decompiler exists too.
    Yeah if somebody wants something bad enough, they'll always find a way.
    I took the route of patching ZQuest itself on Windows and Linux to bypass the password verification to take advantage of ZQuest's compatibility with quests across it's many iterations.
    I didn't release a patch or anything, but there are already other tools out there.

I never put a password on anything. I think the idea is silly, and when people defend 'protecting graphics', I ask one question: How many tiles in your quest, are ripped from elsewhere> Oh, and how much of the music, and sound effects, is entirely original to your project? The only thing worth protecting, are stories, and unless it's not based on an existing work, or a true parody, it's rather hard to defend. Just about everyone who uses ZQuest, is pirating, and plagiarising on a regular basis. Asking others not to do the same, and trying to circumvent it, is purely hypocritical, IMO.
    I've not released a quest yet, but I wouldn't use a password either.
    There's always going to be some level of hypocrisy in expecting people to not take from you what you've taken from another and I've personally never come across a quest where all of the assets were completely original.
    I'd love to see one though, heh. ( ・ω・)

The password system is also a large problem with making a mainstream, open-source ZC release. If you want a better game engine, with more features, that is open source, start accepting a non-password-protected quest format, for the future. What I suggest, is to remove passwords entirely, and automatically strip them out of older quests when loading them with ZC 2.60. People may whine about it; but you know what? It won;t stop them from using the programme, and if ZC/ZQ didn't have passwords as of 2.5, people would already have adapted.
    I thought the plan was to change the way this works or remove it completely from the open-source ZC release and just accept that quests would not be cross-compatible between the official build and open-source release?
    That's what I recall reading anyway. Either way, I'm sure there have been more discussions between the developers that I'm not aware of so that's probably irrelevant at this point.

I would support the developers if they were to do this and finally make a public open-source release of ZC, but if they don't I can't say I would really complain either...

The entire model of content protection (or any other form of obfuscation) merely strangles progress. That applies to all fields of science, and art, not merely modding. How far do you think the world of games would have reached, if any idea, was constrained to its creator, and solely its creator? We'd never have gone far beyond Pong, and Space Invaders, both of which, by the by, were [u]fully cloned by Nintendo[/u[ (without permission) and sold in Japan.
    Oh yeah, I definitely agree with you on this wholeheartedly. I don't have a problem with people wanting to take small steps to secure their work or anything, but a lot of this is getting out of hand.
    Especially DRM which only hurts those who pay for media that is "protected" by it and it will always be defeated anyway. It's a waste of time and resources.
    I always end up patching games I've bought if they have DRM in order to get rid of it.

I remember a particular case where Sony(?) made use of DRM for music and their DRM was a forking rootkit.
    I can't be bothered to look it up again at the moment though haha.

I believe that the main reason that Nintendo has never tried to censor ZC, is the way that the Japanese look at doujin, and most quests fall into the doujin category of art, and literature, except 1st.qst, and 2nd.qst. Those are where they may hold objections, but haven't.
    Yeah, but I don't think they're necessarily losing sales or anything to ZC. They've created Mario Maker recently though so they might eventually end up creating "Zelda Maker" if the former does well enough.
    There's a chance that something like that could cause some issues, but ZC has been around so long that they probably wouldn't bother it. I would hope that to be the case anyway haha.

For anyone worried about people 'stealing their strings'--goodness--or figuring out the ending from reading the string table (the only valid concern with strings and story) you can always either make a string table with 10x the needed content, much of it intentionally misleading, red herrings, and the like (Interplay was famous for that), or embed the strings in ZSscript files, that aren't in your buffer. It's much more tedious to decode a string from numerical values stored in ZASM. Hah.
    People are worried about someone "stealing" strings? Okay, I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous haha. Same with people going and spoiling the ending for themselves.
    I don't know why this is even a concern. (・_・)

My final thoughts on worrying about people ripping truly original content: The community would view them as pariahs, and shame them for it. I feel that the fact that we have communities, who would so that, is enough of an incentive to prevent it, at least on a large scale; but then again, I also can't argue against ripping a tileset from an original project, as you know, we all do that from other [u]commercial[/u[ works, as routine.
    Yeah. If someone wants someone to play their quests and want to be accepted in the community, it's in their best interest to avoid being a complete moron.
    What's the point in someone creating a quest using someone else's original assets while claiming all of it to be their own when that would only lead to one being shunned
    from the community, thereby resulting in very few people playing their quest assuming it hasn't been taken down.

Finally, in short, I just don't think anyone should make a huge deal about someone using assets from other quests as long as they don't claim to have created whatever they're using themselves and give credit.
    If the quest is protected one should at least try to get in touch with the creator and request permission before going and just ripping what they want from the quest.
    Don't just outright disregard the wishes of the one who created the quest.

That's pretty much where I currently stand on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by CJC View Post
    EDIT: FYI, Zelda Classic is not a pirated copy of Zelda 1. It was reverse-engineered: there IS a difference.
    Yeah, but reverse engineering is still a bit of a legal gray area.
    Clean room design is generally considered more acceptable as it allows one to copy a design and recreate it while avoiding copyright infringement.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    The password system isn't halting ZC Development at all. The only problem is that unencoded quest files can't be opened in the player at the moment. Which isn't that big of a problem in my opinion. And I'm pretty sure Gleeok said he honestly doesn't care about it at this point either which means it's up to Saffith to fix it. It's one of the last things he believes NEEDS to be fix, and why I have no fucking idea. Let's move on and opensource the damn thing already and let someone else take care of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.67%
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamamo View Post
    The password system isn't halting ZC Development at all. The only problem is that unencoded quest files can't be opened in the player at the moment. Which isn't that big of a problem in my opinion. And I'm pretty sure Gleeok said he honestly doesn't care about it at this point either which means it's up to Saffith to fix it. It's one of the last things he believes NEEDS to be fix, and why I have no fucking idea. Let's move on and opensource the damn thing already and let someone else take care of it.
    That's good to know haha.
    Yeah...that's a little annoying. Technically it would be less troublesome if those more familiar with the code base were to fix it, but yeah if it's
    just a minor issue like that I don't see any real reason not to go forward with a release now.. (・へ・)

Thread Information