Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%

Custom Guys

Relatively big one (and probably simple to do), can we have this feature in the next release?

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.45%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Relatively big one (and probably simple to do), can we have this feature in the next release?

-James
    ALL MY YES!!!!!!!!! I've been clamoring for this feature since the 1.90 days! I hate using scripted NPCs, you can't use built in room types with them, and it really shouldn't be that hard to do.
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.77%
    What do you mean by custom guys? You mean guys with homing, halt rates, and a list of strings with % likeliness of occurrence and/or sequential strings starting at string # X for Y amount of strings and things like that?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.45%
    Well, I don't know about Nightmare, but I'd be happy just having something that says "Make new guy", "Use CSet x" and "use tile y" and then be able to apply that to any room.
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.72%
    Quote Originally Posted by lineas View Post
    Well, I don't know about Nightmare, but I'd be happy just having something that says "Make new guy", "Use CSet x" and "use tile y" and then be able to apply that to any room.
    You couldn't hit the nail on top of the head any more accurately lineas.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.77%
    So basically you're saying that 15 guys isn't enough.. gotchya.
    I prefer 8 bit tiling, and the tiles for guys can be drawn over.. you just want more guy spaces.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.71%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    So basically you're saying that 15 guys isn't enough.. gotchya.
    I prefer 8 bit tiling, and the tiles for guys can be drawn over.. you just want more guy spaces.
    15? I count 10. I noticed that there is an import and export guys option. What's that about?

I think a better idea than "more guys" was something like Lineas said where instead of setting up "guys" you just assign a tile and cset like you do room type and string on a screen by screen basis.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.98%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    15? I count 10. I noticed that there is an import and export guys option. What's that about?

I think a better idea than "more guys" was something like Lineas said where instead of setting up "guys" you just assign a tile and cset like you do room type and string on a screen by screen basis.
    Yeah, maybe a replacement to the current 'guy' menu, using a check box to determine whether or not the room has a 'guy' (or radio buttons for None, Guy, and Fairy), a tile selection, a CSet selection, and X,Y coordinates at which the Guy should be spawned.

The first determines whether the top half of the screen is restricted from movement. The tile selection and CSet are for aesthetics, and finally the coordinates would let quest creators place the guy anywhere on screen, rather than perfectly in center (many of the 'invisible guy' tricks of the older versions were done simply to place the guy at a different spot on-screen).

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.77%
    Some folks put a lot of effort into assuring that ZC is capable of doing these things without modifying ZC every time a user has a request for things it is capable of.
    I made a guesstimate, because I never thought I'd use a 'guy', so I did not.
    Filling out a script is in no way less or more complicated than checking a box and writing it there.
    Learn Scripting, you'd love it.
    Either ZC & ZQ takes more memory on your system, which costs all the people who don't use this feature you're proposing, potentially slows down their overall download time, etc. or your own quest file takes up a slightly more amount of memory by you utilizing the features already implemented after years of work.
    You're asking that functions that were wrote down years ago be menu boxed in C, which is understandable, but would inevitably slow things down for the populace since it's already doable with what we have.
    Last edited by Zim; 08-13-2013 at 09:18 PM.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.98%
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Filling out a script is in no way less or more complicated than checking a box and writing it there.
    Actually it is. Many users find scripting incredibly intimidating. An in-game interface that explains both what it is doing and how it should be used is much more user friendly, especially to new quest creators that are trying to learn how to use the program.

Either ZC & ZQ takes more memory on your system, which costs all the people who don't use this feature you're proposing, potentially slows down their overall download time, etc. or your own quest file takes up a slightly more amount of memory by you utilizing the features already implemented after years of work.
    You're asking that functions that were wrote down years ago be menu boxed in C, which is understandable, but would inevitably slow things down for the populace since it's already doable with what we have.
    All that this feature would do is change the NPC spawn code that generates 'guys' for strings into one that references screen variables, "GuyTile, GuyCSet, and GuyType". All are already implemented in the program; an interface would just make their access more practical. In fact, it might save space in the long run because there would no longer be a need for pre-programmed guys.
    By your argument, String Control Codes, Combo Solidity, Items, Enemies, and even warps should be stripped out of the system because they can also be achieved by scripting and are thus 'wasted space'.

Learn Scripting, you'd love it.
    Yes, advanced users should learn scripting because it gives the program much more versatility. But advanced users will not be making use of 'Guys' anyway. This is a feature for less-skilled quest makers, and any increase in file size is worth it for the accessibility.

Thread Information