221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42%
    *throws hat into the ring* I have a riddle I heard years ago.

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
    Its lies behind stars and under hills. And empty holes it fills.
    It comes first and follow after. Ends life, kills laughter.
    My Quotes and other siggy stuff.
    *Bar-Buddies updates whenever-also can email comics upon request*
    MP:89
    Playing: Final Fantasy XIV

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by mrz84 View Post
    *throws hat into the ring* i have a riddle i heard years ago.

It cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be smelt.
    Its lies behind stars and under hills. And empty holes it fills.
    It comes first and follow after. Ends life, kills laughter.
    Spoiler: show
    darkness

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkone View Post
    how about this one?

The poorest have it, the richest need it, but if either were to eat it, they would slowly die.

nothing???

I made my own from your riddle. :)

The richest have it, the poorest need it, but if either were to eat it, they would slowly die.

And here's one that stumped me for years:

100 coins are scattered on a table in a dark room. 90 of them have heads facing up and 10 of them have tails up. You cannot see or feel which coins have heads or tails facing up. How do you sort the coins into two piles so that there are an equal number of tails in each pile?
    Last edited by Gleeok; 11-07-2015 at 11:37 PM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.09%
    100 coins are scattered on a table in a dark room. 90 of them have heads facing up and 10 of them have tails up. You cannot see or feel which coins have heads or tails facing up. How do you sort the coins into two piles so that there are an equal number of tails in each pile?
    @Gleeok

Whelp, this one is definitely odd. After careful deliberation and brainstorming, also spreadsheets and such, I came up with the following answer...

The riddle does not specify that the total size of each pile must be equal, only that each pile has an equal number of tails in each. Make two piles of coins, one containing 90 coins, and the other containing only 10. Then flip all the coins in the pile of 10.

You have 100 coins total, and only 10 are on tails. So the coins can be expressed as follows...

90H 10T

Let's say you pull all 10 tails by some miracle into your tiny little pile of 10. Once you flip them the piles will be as follows

90H and 10H. Both piles have 0 tails.

Now lets say you only pull 1 tails into your pile.

before flip, 81H and 9T / 9H and 1T
    After flip 81H and 9T / 1H and 9T, so both piles have 9 coins on tails.

Lets say you grabbed 4 Tails into your pile

before flip 84H 6T / 6H 4T
    after flip 84H 6T / 4H 6T, so both piles have 6 coins on tails.

As you can see due to the way the math falls, this would work for any combination of 10 coins.
    Last edited by Lelouche Vi Britannia; 01-09-2016 at 10:45 PM. Reason: I can't type
    Lost my wings and grew 8 tentacles... I've seen enough Hentai to know where this is going....

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    44.09%
    You have died... my condolences on your loss....

But the afterlife was not what you were expecting; you were not bad enough to go to hell, but not good enough to go to heaven either. So it has been decided that your cleverness will determine your eternal reward....

You enter a room and the door shuts behind you, disappearing into a sheer wall. Ahead of you, you see two angels. Both of the angels sit upon small pedestals and look exactly the same, identical twins in every respect. On each side of the room is a single door, both closed. As you step forward you see a small pedestal before you with a note on it. It reads as follows...

Know ye who have entered here that thy mind shalt be tested. If ye can pass this test, ye shall ascend to heaven, but if ye fail, ye shall find only oblivion in the depths of Gehenna.

The angels before thee have been chosen by God. One of the will ALWAYS speak the truth, and the other will ALWAYS lie. Nothing shall indicate to thee which is which.

The doors are important as well, for one shall lead thee to the high heavens, while the other shall lead thee to the depths of hell. You may open only one door.

You may ask but one question. This question may be directed to both angels, or only one at your desire, but only one question may be asked. Based on the answer to this question you must choose which door to open. Good luck.

What do you do?
    Lost my wings and grew 8 tentacles... I've seen enough Hentai to know where this is going....

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.76%
    Ask of the first angel (henceforth #1) "Would the other angel (#2) tell me that the door on the left leads to Heaven?"

If #1 answers yes, then the other door leads to Heaven. If #2 is telling the truth, then #1 is lying about what #2's answer would be, so the answer would therefore be no. If #1 is telling the truth, then #2 is lying, and the answer would again be no.

If #1 answers no, then the reverse applies and the answer is yes.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Thread Information