Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.7%
    @ZoriaRPG :

First off: 2.6, 3.0 whatever. Point being that it is a greater major version than 2.5+.

I purposely put the AS stuff right out there so everyone could see the current status of it. This is here to support legacy scripts in the future: https://github.com/ArmageddonGames/Z...indings/Legacy It's a lot of work, and you can see that I've already started it.

As I said before ZScript bytecode is not compatible with AS and I don't want to even try to do that. If someone else wants to then feel free to go crazy. I have no idea how this would even work realistically.

DarkDragon asked how long it would take to get something working to support messaging, general scripting, using it, etc.; I said about 10%(something like that) of the total time it would take with ZScript. This may sound strange, but you have to factor in testing, maintenance, features, useability, scalability, debugging, and future features as well. If this is stable for future ZC devs, it's just a win across the board. Keep in mind that jman, Joe123, _L_, Saffith, and myself worked with ZScript code after DD left. That's a lot of people over years of time with little improvements. Long story short is that every one of us probably cringe when someone mentioned a possible bug in ZScript. -Like I said, I'd like the next gen to be happier than we were. But if anyone wants to add messaging, structs, overloads, polymorphism, or whatever else to ZScript then you don't need my approval, you just have to be willing to maintain it for years to come.

ZScript->AS conversion is planned in the form of a tool (built-in or whatever else). It cannot be 100% (unless someone wants to modify the ZC AST to output and prettify scripts, which sounds insane), but I think 99% is good enough. Users will simply have to hand modify some of their scripts that use ints and floats interchangeably that are incorrect for their type, and arrays for strings would probably need to be changed to actual strings. Most scripts are likely trivial, but the more complex the script the more crazy this becomes to automate.

If anyone wants to suggest a way to do this better, and actually do it, then let me know and I'll help with that instead if possible, otherwise I don't have a perfect solution.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 01-31-2017 at 10:14 AM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Thread Information