Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
Is it really that different to using *pointer ? I suppose you could always change the preprocessing and lexing side to use *handle?

Here's a question that has been bothering me: Is this parser that you are making still going to use the present ffscript code? If so, and it is just a drop-in replacement for flex-bison, then I would be willing to help test, and possibly work on it, but it it means rewriting ffscript, and all the functions... Hell, will it be using ri->D[] and similar? How will it change stack calls? As far as I can see, it requires rewriting the whole damned engine, which is why I'm not interested in working on it.
Nope. 18-bit zscript fixed types are an atrocity. No more divide or multiply by 10000 stuff. There, I said it.
It is also not compatible with the current ZScript parser, which is actually a good thing.

Let me fill you in on what is done really quick. -(Keep in mind I did all this in one week, by myself; like I said last year: if we move away from ZScript then productivity will increase by a huge margin and people will be able to work with it much easier)

~We have a fully standards compliant c/c++ preprocessor that scripts /and engine/ may use.
~As per above, script logging, asserts, and exceptions are only compiled with the "DEBUG" flag set. This means no commenting in/out Trace(..) functions, and script errors give detailed info and even a callstack.
~The compiler/preprocessor is separate from ZQuest and ZC, (and serialization support for edit/continue is planned). This means you will be able to recompile/write/test scripts directly while you test them in ZC.
~Compilation is currently blazing fast compared to the ZScript parser: A 120 KB script file compiles and builds in 0.2 seconds and I have not even optimized anything (But if you know me you know I will!).
~Math library built in is already 10x the usefulness of ZScript. We have vector math and utility types that are all c++ code so scripts will be very fast as they just call directly into an c++ function. Parts of std.zh will be put in c++ as well so huge speed improvements all around are planned.
~Delegates and callbacks are basically in already (see other thread on messaging).
~No limit (currently 2048) on scripts. RAM usage seems to be very low so I don't see why not.

What's going in this week:
~Maybe DMap, Map, Screen, and Global Scripts. (Whatever I feel like basically)
~Any script can be created at any time by any other script. For example:
Code:
class ChildrenOfTheCorn
{
  int Children;
  int Corn;
  void MakeSequel(bool blood) {...}

//stuff (like an ffc script kinda)
}

void OnSomeCallback(...) //called by the engine
{
  foreach(...)
  {
    Script@ globalScript = zc.CreateScript(GLOBAL, "ChildrenOfTheCorn");
    globalScript.Children = 212;
    globalScript.Corn = lots;
    globalScript.MakeSequel(true);
  }
}
It's not all fun though. The bindings to existing ZScript things are going to take the longest. Although comparatively speaking each built-in function is much easier to add to AS than ZScript, they don't exist yet.