Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.82%
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffith View Post
    It's just too problematic. Quest rules were't made to be changed mid-game. I can't imagine how many bugs would result from it, beyond some of them simply not doing anything at all. Also, it'd make it harder to replace quest rules with superior options later on.
    Quest rules don't make for a good scripting interface, anyway. If you put some rules one might reasonably want to change behind meaningful interfaces (e.g. Link->DiagonalMovement, Game->ContinueHealth), that should be okay. Even if the ZASM it compiles to is just SETQUESTRULE, that's less of an issue.
    Well, right. I was indeed going to add two levels of an interface to it. One that stores the QR values in an array, to modify, and another that uses ZScript hooks. i wasn't planning to make it fully direct. In fact, what i wanted to do was change the way they work, so tat we don;t run out of space, by storing each rule value in an index. Might be wasteful, but unless you want a second flagset...

I was not going to try to do raw Setter/Getter stuff for those. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I did write some Setter/Getter stuff for things like bool Throttle. Not sure if you would want more abstraction for that stuff. (It's mostly Getter functions anyway.)

That other stuff for the most part, isn't a priority. I think expanding the misc indices for game objects (*weapon, nnc, and so forth) would be prudent, as using two or three headers now makes it easy to have issues with overlaps.

Insofar as stuff like ? as an icentifier, I did indeed add a list of exceptions that check for it. THe way I wrote it, the ? needed to be at the head of an identifier, with no spaces. also have qualms about mandatory spacing styles though, which came up when i wanted to add * to identifiers. WHile that would be nice, it's not necessary. I agree. I did write most of the support code to make it work, but I don't want to cause conflicts. '?' was less of an issue as we don;t use it anywhere else. You're probably right in any event, and maybe I'll add ternary to the parser when I feel like having me brains turn to pudding.

Comment blocks may be done now though, and case-switch is partially done. Not sure how long it'll be before I get back to that one, which I feel would be extremely useful, and compatible with whatever later interface you want. I should note that adding Repeat and Do-Until to AS should be easy, but neither of those have the same priority as case-switch and COMMENTBLOCK.

I also want to make illegal SINGLECHARs such as ` halt the compiler though. I did other things with the parser, but now I'm starting to forget what they were. I might eventually break down and make 2D arrays, but it's low on my agenda, and has a high sanity cost. I'll note here that I don;t really have huge issues comprehending flex, and there are many useful docs and tutorials, many of which I've read specifically for this reason.

I sort of want to make either a BAISC or COBOL language interface for ZASM, just for fun. I seem to recall someone trying to do that in the past, back in 2005-6, before I dropped off the map.

Last, I do have to disagree about who is using ZScript at an advanced enough level to make use of some of these things. We have a decent little (private) side community on Skype who all do some pretty advanced things on a regular basis, and I try not to underestimate the needs/desires of users, present, or new. We've had people sign up, and jump right in with no qualms, only to b*tch about things not existing. I tend to field a lot of stuff for/from users on ZScript support, so I pretty much see a lot more than most when it comes to both desires, and capability of users.

Our side community is meant for people who do advanced stuff though, but we have something like seventeen active participants who are in the chat nearly every day, and more are joining at sporadic intervals. We'd be happy to have you in chat too, but I know that you don't use IM.

Thread Information