Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
I'd just like to point out that for a while after the SNES gen most of the good Nintendo games were overrated. It's like when you are drunk and think you spot a '10', but really it's just that she has really ugly friends.

OOT is still good though. I actually played the OOT Master Quest version a while back when it came out for the GC, which wasn't very hard at all but still good.
I think one of the main draws for 2D games is that their art style is more durable. A (hand drawn) pixel sprite (Aliased model shortcuts like Super Mario RPG don't count) will look consistent relative to your expectations twenty years down the line, whereas a textured polygonal model will begin to strain its facets within a few years. Those early 3D games--like Ocarina of Time--are simply painful to look at compared against more modern products. It's because they were straining against technology. Remakes are mitigating such reactions but they tend to polarize a consumer population (with half grateful for the update and half offended the game they paid for is getting released again).

It's funny, though, because Ocarina of Time is itself a spiritual remake of A Link to the Past. The games share a great deal of structure and plot (though OoT sports a more eccentric cast). It's not unreasonable that the two would be compared frequently.

My favorite 2D Zelda game is A Link Between Worlds (Yes, it uses models, but it uses the 2D control scheme). My favorite 3D Zelda game is The Wind Waker.