User Tag List

View Poll Results: - Multiple Choice, Public Displayed, Mega Poll -

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Let's make a 5th quest!

12 27.91%
  • Create a new, non-NES based, contest template with newer graphics, and start over from that!

16 37.21%
  • If there is a contest I want to make an entire quest from the ground up!

3 6.98%
  • I am an Iraqi war veteran and have cancer or have died from DU munitions contamination.

4 9.30%
  • Bring back Neo-First!

8 18.60%
  • Not NeoFirst but a new community made quest to show what 2.5 can do.

13 30.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 5th quest? Should we have one?

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.54%

Official 5th quest? Should we have one?

[EDIT] POLL ADDED! -Multiple choice (That means you can vote for as many as you like.)

-The poll will end sometime in the beginning of August.

This was suggested recently to me, so I figured "heck, why not"?

AlphaDawgs 3rd quest is crazy good,. The 4th quest is a very explorative quest with many secrets and some new features of ZC while still maintaining an NES feel.
    Zelda Classic is already 13 years old - It's a teenager! - It's already been 3 years since the last contest. I don't see why not.

Instead of having a useless poll, you have to reply here with your thoughts - both on having a 5th quest contest, and what the qualifications and extents of such a quest should be.

Should:
    -Scripting be allowed?
    -Enemy editor for new bosses be allowed?
    -Item drops and new enemies be allowed?
    -"Other" be allowed? (please explain)

Again, nothing official right now. Unless there is overwhelming support either for or against, we'll keep this discussion open for a while.
    Last edited by Gleeok; 07-23-2013 at 05:01 PM.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.23%
    I'd say so. However, I would like to point out that too many "offical" quests will get old, to the point where they are really no different to custom quests. I'd say that, if we get any more official quests, this should be the last one because the novelty will get real old very quickly. That is unless it becomes a competition that is held every year like the PZC 2-week quest contest that is held annually and each of the winner's quests labeled as "[Winner's Name].qst". Just some things to consider.

As for the restrictions, I'd be fine with small amounts of scripting (combined total of script files being up to ~500 lines, etc), alteration to the passageways, altered dropsets, Custom bosses (Dodongo is boring and easy) and maybe small edits to the subscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    This was suggested recently to me, so I figured "heck, why not"?

AlphaDawgs 3rd quest is crazy difficult,. The 4th quest is a very explorative quest with many secrets and some new features of ZC while still maintaining an NES feel.
    Zelda Classic is already 13 years old - It's a teenager! - It's already been 3 years since the last contest. I don't see why not.

Instead of having a useless poll, you have to reply here with your thoughts - both on having a 5th quest contest, and what the qualifications and extents of such a quest should be.

Should:
    -Scripting be allowed?
    -Enemy editor for new bosses be allowed?
    -Item drops and new enemies be allowed?
    -"Other" be allowed? (please explain)

Again, nothing official right now. Unless there is overwhelming support either for or against, we'll keep this discussion open for a while.
    Fx'd.
    The Legend of Zelda: Zelda's Last Wish.
    Progress: 99% complete. (Overworld: 100%, Dungeons: 99% overall).
    ETA: Pending.
    Beta/Demo: Out now!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    77.08%
    I say no. The 4th was a stretch.

However, if you're interested in packaging in new quests, these could certainly be suggestions:
    New Quest
    Demo Quest EX
    Hidden Duality: Director's Cut
    The Revenge 2
    Unofficial 3rd Quest (renamed) (AlphaDawg's first attempt)
    Titan's Quest Director's Cut
    Maybe some of the 1st and 2nd Quest clones in different tilesets (would require an unpassworded version of 1st and 2nd Quests, I think this would be a good way to show off what ZC can do graphics-wise)

Just my 2C.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%
    It seems Gleeok and I differ in what we'd like to see. To be clear when I approached him about doing a quest contest it wasn't with the intention of a 5th quest contest. I would not like to restrict it to classic tile set, premade, or in anyway succeeding 1-4 in anyway. If that is something people want to do then by all means that sounds like an easy contest to put on if we have the willing persons to host it.

I am not saying anything goes or super epic quests. I would howevrr like to see quests that takr advantage of 2.5 features and the vast amount of tilesets and other resources.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.54%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    It seems Gleeok and I differ in what we'd like to see. To be clear when I approached him about doing a quest contest it wasn't with the intention of a 5th quest contest. I would not like to restrict it to classic tile set, premade, or in anyway succeeding 1-4 in anyway. If that is something people want to do then by all means that sounds like an easy contest to put on if we have the willing persons to host it.

I am not saying anything goes or super epic quests. I would howevrr like to see quests that takr advantage of 2.5 features and the vast amount of tilesets and other resources.
    Hmm.. I might of misread that part. Sorry about that.

You mean something like neofirst then? (before it became all epic and _L_ disappeared) Should it be in the same universe as Z1? Anything close to Z3 ALTTP is realistically just way too much work for anyone to do. Probably the same could be said with other 2D zelda games as well. Also if it's just a 2.5 quest with "new stuff" then there could be submissions from anybody who has made a quest in the last 5 years, and I doubt anyone judging wants to play through 20+ full-length quests.

Doing a Nth quest was a little more ordered since everyone starts with the same template and overworld. Perhaps merging those ideas in some cohesive way might work as well. It's even possible to start over from the first quest in a way.

Not sure, any ideas?
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    77.08%
    This would obviously take more than one person to do, but being we have C-style scripting and everything, how about we try to truly remake Link's Awakening?

It plays closer to Zelda 1 than LttP does and it's probably very feasable.

It was brought up in my development school as an idea.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%
    Did you not get my last pm? I sent it right? *checks* yes I did. Sorry posting in between moving so expect a little incoherent.

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.54%
    Quote Originally Posted by SUCCESSOR View Post
    Did you not get my last pm? I sent it right? *checks* yes I did. Sorry posting in between moving so expect a little incoherent.
    Yes. I see now. I read this: "I dont think it should be in line with 3rd or 4th", as "I think it should be in line with 3rd or 4th" for some reason. :\ ...eh whatever. There's room for either one.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%
    "Perhaps merging those ideas in some cohesive way might work as well. It's even possible to start over from the first quest in a way. "

That's a good idea. I also said something about maybe having an overworld contest and the something. I lost the draft of what I was going to post And I am just too fucking tired.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.44%
    Sorry about that ^^. This is why I shouldn't post while half asleep. I would hope to see more people rring in about what they think. The more ideas we get the better.

@Nightmare I love the idea of remaking LA but I don't think such a feat would work in a contest. Also remakes have a habit of dying. There is a lot more work to LA than just scripting too. For instance each screen would have to be altered to make up for the different screen size.

@Gleeok I don't think we should accept anything that has been submitted to AGN or PureZc database.

Thread Information