That's a good question.

Souls of Wisdom 2 is being built chapter base, so once you leave North Faron, there won't be returning unless the story calls for it. However, understanding how drastic that would be in an open world video game, I wouldn't let fans leave North Faron and never return. My plan is to build each map, and strictly keep players within that region until the story calls for him to move on to the next region. This will continue until near the end where I'm going to patch it all together as one big overworld which I label "The Open World". The open world will play the same midi that plays at the end of every Palace Victory. Within the Open World you can revisit many locations and tie up loose ends.

Some may say a linear approach will devastate the adventure aspect of the quest, but it's progression path is built similar, if not identical to Zelda 2. Fans of Zelda 2 will have an edge above those who's never played the game because chances are they'll remain confident on where to go next.

I'm also planning on straying from Nintendo's approach to overworld design. Some people may like gimmicky overworlds where your items are required to get around, but I prefer an open world built to look like an actual world people would build their civilization on.

With so much thought going into overworld, I would never take it away from players the ability to revisit areas. All with the exception of Twilight Winter. I am thinking about leaving that a pass through area in which that once you leave, you cannot return, so the only way to relive Twilight Winter is to start a new quest.