Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    93.37%
    Quote Originally Posted by Majora View Post
    Windows can also be free if you know what you're doing.
    Yep if you now what you're doing and you can get windows for free pretty easy
    I've done it with vista and 7, Yes its so easy I can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
    Vote NO on KB971033 :)
    Actually... Vote Yes on KB971033. With it I believe it makes you genuine .

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.96%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Majora View Post
    I once installed debian and I could not find out where to install the proper graphics drivers, or if even one exists.
    Then you probably aren't the kind of person who should be using Linux. I found the driver updates to be relatively straightfoward, but again, I am comfortable searching through technical information, building source, and editing configuration files. However, there is no reason to detest something just because you aren't the kind of person it was designed for.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.43%
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post
    Then you probably aren't the kind of person who should be using Linux. I found the driver updates to be relatively straightfoward, but again, I am comfortable searching through technical information, building source, and editing configuration files. However, there is no reason to detest something just because you aren't the kind of person it was designed for.
    I've used a couple Debian builds trying to find the right one for my old ass laptop and found that it was very easy to get the right drivers. Easier than with windows because I did not have to hunt them down on google and dig through my manufacturers website and do some trial and error because of half assed descriptions. There is a learning curve to using Linux to get everything customized to your liking but in general most of them work great for casual use "out of the box."

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.63%
    Quote Originally Posted by Beldaran View Post

Gee I never would've guessed. You'd think after already being familiar with linux's way of installing things, hunting through the package managers and google, I'd find something. But I didn't. Yeah, real straightforward.

クールな男
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    97.26%
    I've had absolutely no issues with Linux that I didn't solve through learning. And every time I learned more fascinating information about how the system itself works too. And through that learning, I feel my understanding of logic systems has improved.

On the contrary, with Windows - it always seemed like it was the same solution to everything. Either mess around with regedit, msconfig, etc, or change compatibility mode. Or run a chkdsk every now and then if the hardware is getting corrupted. Gets repetitive.

I think that Linux is only for the type of person who is comfortable seeing a naked problem which will remain noticeable until it is resolved; whereas Windows wants to hide the problem and try to go on without it, giving the facade of a much better platform.

Thread Information