Quote Originally Posted by Moosh View Post
This is all greek to me, sadly. Working on the assumption that this will work fairly similar to ZScript, could we maybe have copy/paste functionality in the built in script editor? The one thing that bugs me the most about ZScript is probably the reliance on importing scripts as .z files with a bare minimum script editor built in.

What will be the FFC equivalent of ffc scripts since there probably won't be ffcs in FFC? Will they be split into field and battle scripts and be assigned to specific maps and encounters? Could one attach a script to an inventory item or command similar to an item script in ZC. Am I being too closed minded here? Probably am.

Also kinda curious how scripting would work in a turn based battle system. Would there be some sort of waitturn() command to prevent stuff from happening between turns?
I don't know how that would work since stuff like the battle engine is not done yet, so I can't give you any sort of good answer. There also is no editor yet. You can use any code or text editor available. This is mostly language, basic features for now. Sorry. ..

Also I can see why you are confused. Don't think of this as similar to ZC scripting. Think of it more like Game Maker (yuck) scripting (but faster and better times infinity... f**k you GM... cough.. shoot, ..I digressed...).

Why would you need things like item scripts at all anyway if you can create scripts dynamically? ...I suppose there would be at least three ways: events, objects, and through scripts, anyway. ..At the very least you could create any kind of script you wanted through another script. Example:
Code:
class MyObjectThatCreatesObjects
{
  void run() //runs every logical frame
  {
    // NOTE: you do NOT need while true here!
    wait(60); //wait one second
    game.create_object("MyObjectThatCreatesObjects"); //create a never ending object creating object!!! :P

//note; after so many objects are created the engine throw an exception and close your game so this is a bad idea.
  }
};
Events and Map objects have not been designed yet, however.

The battle engine will probably be real-time with a bool for turn-based. :) The BattleActor class (or whatever) might just implement the ATB system. (since it is arguably 99% real-time anyway.) I don't know for sure though since it doesn't exist.