Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.55%

Re: Large Mode: the official topic

Eh, it's the window itself - that's the problem. Everything's crammed into one window, and you can't change/move things around, or remove and add other stuff; It's just not customizable at all.

Here's a few things that should be in a separate window:
    • Combo List. One per window is enough; let the user decide how many lists he or she wants to have at a time. Also, take the search and other abilities from the Combo Editor, and include them into that window.
    • Tabbed lists. Organization is key - Resources aren't really marked properly as of right now. With this master list, different resources such as items, weapons, tile pages, combos, and sound effects are separated to different directories and files.
    • DMap List. Not do you just have the Dmap name and type in an easy and accessible list form, you also have each screen listed, and their warps marked to where they go, and the items that are there. An advanced view could also keep track of combo IDs and various flags.
    • Item Tracker. Heart Container Pieces, rupees, and quest-specific items are tallied here, along with location and conditions.
    • Minimap, nothing else to say about that.
    That's all I can say.

EDIT: Thought of something else - a Comment section. Screens and Dmaps are what it's for, to make notes about the screen. For example, an unset warp because the destination screen wasn't made yet. Also, include a notepad, letting people write down things that are specific to that quest.

Lynel
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.42%

Re: Large Mode: the official topic

Quote Originally Posted by russadwan View Post
    Here's what I think about it. It's a nice interface, but it's too big. I'm used to windowed mode standard editor. And then comes large mode. For people used to small mode, it's too big. For people new to ZC, it's too confusing.
    How do you know? You're not new to ZC. And, very few people who are new to ZC use the betas (or, at least, talk about them).

The thing about small mode is that it was great -- up until it switched to the Windows-style GUI. Then, it became awkward. From something that looks like Windows, I expect certain Windows-like behaviour. Dragging the title bar of a sub window should move the window (this should be addressed in large mode too), etc. Under DOS, we didn't have these assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkus View Post
    Eh, it's the window itself - that's the problem. Everything's crammed into one window, and you can't change/move things around, or remove and add other stuff; It's just not customizable at all.

Here's a few things that should be in a separate window:
    • Combo List. One per window is enough; let the user decide how many lists he or she wants to have at a time. Also, take the search and other abilities from the Combo Editor, and include them into that window.
    • Tabbed lists. Organization is key - Resources aren't really marked properly as of right now. With this master list, different resources such as items, weapons, tile pages, combos, and sound effects are separated to different directories and files.
    • DMap List. Not do you just have the Dmap name and type in an easy and accessible list form, you also have each screen listed, and their warps marked to where they go, and the items that are there. An advanced view could also keep track of combo IDs and various flags.
    • Item Tracker. Heart Container Pieces, rupees, and quest-specific items are tallied here, along with location and conditions.
    • Minimap, nothing else to say about that.
    That's all I can say.

EDIT: Thought of something else - a Comment section. Screens and Dmaps are what it's for, to make notes about the screen. For example, an unset warp because the destination screen wasn't made yet. Also, include a notepad, letting people write down things that are specific to that quest.
    Much of that stuff I do using an external document, as it is both easier and more flexible.

My biggest suggestion would be to augment the Favourites panel. Maybe have it so that you can toggle it between the Favourites and the Mini Map (since, it's unlikely you'll need both at the same time).

Or, if you want to go hog-crazy, add a multi-window dialog system, if that's at all possible in Allegro! Float the Mini map, Favourites and even the command bar!
    Tale of the Cave - a web comic - Updates Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    ZC Tutorials - Tutorials and Script Library - Updated July 30, 2008
    ZeldaGuard - Corruption in my save files? It's more likely than you think!
    I do script requests!

Thread Information