I tried pushing against every wall, found nada.

Quote Originally Posted by ctrl-alt-delete View Post
What is up with the flame?
See, that's what I wish I knew. If I were to guess, I would guess that the room I'm in actually isn't the real boss room, it's a trap and you have to get to the triforce piece through rooms that aren't shown. The flame is your only way to escape by letting you die and go back to the beginning of the dungeon. Either that, or it's a nasty bug.

What's funny is, I tried dying in the flame, going back to the beginning and came back to this room. When I got there, the flame had moved, it was in the center of the room. I roasted in the flame again, went back to the beginning and came back here again. The flame moved again, this time to the lower-left corner of the room. I thought I was on to some kind of puzzle and died again, went back to the start and came back here again, but the flame didn't move, it was in the same place it had been in the third time. That suggests there is probably some kind of bug in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by MottZilla
You could always look for the flag in memory (a cheat) for if all enemies are dead and the doors should be opened. And then set that to true. Or try to get a walk upwards through walls code. You could also cheat by changing the room number when in the room under that room, to the room number that is in, so that when you travel upward you skip over that room straight to the triforce room.
I don't have any experience with ROM editing, but opening up this toy in an editor would be a useful exercise. Even if I don't figure out how the level is supposed to play, at the very least I could see if there are hidden rooms in this "DMap" (or whatever the equivalent structure is for a rom hack) and then maybe it might turn out that Lord Steak forgot to open up one end of a passageway or some such.