Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.55%

Re: Scientists fear the day computers become smarter then humans

But... machines will never have a soul. Isn't that what would distinguish them from being like us (humans)?

Yes eventually they might develop a consciousness... but... (I'm not sure where my thought is going with that so I'll stop for the moment)
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    18.78%

Quote Originally Posted by Prrkitty View Post
    But... machines will never have a soul. Isn't that what would distinguish them from being like us (humans)?

Yes eventually they might develop a consciousness... but... (I'm not sure where my thought is going with that so I'll stop for the moment)
    What is a soul? And how can you say whether or not a machine has one? What if we just have to accept that, biology aside, we can't distinguish ourselves from them?
    The artist formally known as macweirdo42, formally known as weirdguy (it's a long, uninteresting story).

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.55%

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    What is a soul? And how can you say whether or not a machine has one?
    From my understanding... a soul is what distinguishes us from ... say a tree. We (smart humans) know that animals feel pain and are conscious of their surroundings so I think they also have a soul. At this point we're getting into the philosophical subjects that I don't know that much about.

Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    What if we just have to accept that, biology aside, we can't distinguish ourselves from them?
    I'm sure some might be able to just accept that (if it comes to that)... but I'm also sure some will fight that fact until their dying breath.
    If you love... love without reservation. If you fight... fight without fear.
    ST: If you're going to go the way of the ostrich and stick your head into the sand or up your butt and expect everything to go the way you had imagined it, you deserve your fate.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.02%
    Achievements It's over 9000!

Quote Originally Posted by Prrkitty View Post
    some will fight that fact.
    That's what's so amusing about fighting facts... you always lose to a fact. Always.

There is no scientific reason to think humans have souls. It is something made up by ancient and medieval mystics. The fact is, the human behavior commonly attributed to having a soul is really just the behavioral complexity arising from our extremely complex chemical computers (our brains).

A "soul" is a non scientific idea and has no place in a discussion of robotics, artificial intelligence, and technological progress.

Thread Information