Few things.

February 22, 2006
Date the article was wrote. The game has changed quite a bit since then.

40 Man raids
No longer exist. The largest raid content (current content) required 25 people, which isn't that hard to get ahold of in such a big game.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn the Great View Post
It's perfectly fine to solo the game up until 70. Then you reach a point where you can't compete against other 70s unless you have an extensive social network plus a lot of time to faciliate dungeon grinding and raiding.
World of Warcraft has become a game where you can choose to do PvE or PvP. You no longer have to focus on one part to do any good at the other. You can solo plenty of stuff at 70, just not raid content. If you could solo raid content why would you ever go with anyone else? If you're going for server firsts and always wanting to be on the cutting edge of content then yes, you do need a lot of time. But it is far from required to experience the various parts of the game.

I looooooooooove when people call WoW a useless timesink that destroys people's personal lifes. Fucking love it. When people feel the need to blame their inability to control their playtime on the game itself it just means they are truely pathetic.

I have played since a month after release. It hasn't effected my personal life and I have managed to play all aspects on the game. Including: raiding, grinding pvp rank pre-BC, running a guild and it's website, leading countless battleground groups and kicking ass in arena.