User Tag List

Thread: Inconsistency - when heart beabing sound plays in a Dugeon The music dosen't slight..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.92%

Inconsistency - when heart beabing sound plays in a Dugeon The music dosen't slight..

Change

Collector's Edition
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/billystudio/Sound bug.zip when the heart sound (beeping) is playing the music slightly changes (it goes like this instead). If you are viewing a subscreen or going through a door with the heart beep going its normal

ZC: No matter how many hearts you have it plays a constant theme no matter whether your hearts are beeping or not.

This is not a major bug its just for the first quest thats been done up to be more like the original (door bugs ect). This was tested on the collectors edition (NGC) not an NES. If this does not happen on a NES disregard this thread. Also everyone i have asked heard the difference

Also you may use this MIDI if it is needed

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    89.05%

Re: Inconsistency - when heart beabing sound plays in a Dugeon The music dosen't slig

Most people can tell that this is due to the limitations of the NES's sound channels. The reason the music changes is because some of the notes can't be played alongside the EKG noise. This happens all the time on the NES, which usually only has 4-6 channels available at any given time. It's less noticable with short, quick sounds, but it's still there. The reason it doesn't happen on a PC is because you usually have 16-32 channels available, minimum.

I'm fairly certain that because of these factors, this feature is impossible to emulate.
    ~Dart Zaidyer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.92%

Re: Inconsistency - when heart beabing sound plays in a Dugeon The music dosen't slig

I know it was somthing like that but i thought since there is a new frist quest being made to be as close to the orginal as it could be i thought i should have said it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.12%

In Zelda Classic, the heart beep (ER.wav) is a wave file within the SFX.dat and is played out through the sound card when this DAT file is loaded in Zelda Classic. MIDIs (both built-in Zelda Classic and within quest files) is another source played out through the MIDI out port, then to the sound card.

This is not a bug, because ZC is for PC, Mac, Linux. There is no way the developers can do about this.

It does happen on the original NES. (Console and cartridge, or ROM)
    Coming Soon - Pendants of the Underworld

Quest for ZC. Only released when ZC 2.5 final is available. ON HIATUS About 88% done. Updated in 5/18/08

Demo Available - For ZC 373
    Download
    You may need a tool to unzip files, go to www.7-zip.org.

I have college now, worsening the hiatus.

Visit my web pages! Click here.

Octorok
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    74.86%

Have some more faith in the devs than that. I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way to emulate this and implemented it as a quest rule. Even if it's too much work for now, this would at least be a bug in limbo since it is indeed NES inconsistent behavior.

Also, if the same parts of the music are always missing when you are low on health, there are many shenanagans you could pull to emulate the behavior. Just like with the script to emulate the door unlock glitch, we can remember that all you need is the same behavior even if you get it for a radically different reason than the NES had it.

Lynel
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.32%

I can say with reasonable certainty that this would be impossible to emulate without making major changes to the Allegro library. Like, uprooting 90% of the MIDI code, and replacing it with a new, software synthesizer designed to limit channels, and to play all sound effects as MIDIs.

Which would be stupid, even if it were anything less than nigh impossible.

The only other possible (and with limited use) way to emulate this would be to make a copy of the original midis, and delete a track (whichever track is dropped in the original), and add a new music selector to DMaps: Music when low on health

Which would also be stupid.
    Tale of the Cave - a web comic - Updates Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    ZC Tutorials - Tutorials and Script Library - Updated July 30, 2008
    ZeldaGuard - Corruption in my save files? It's more likely than you think!
    I do script requests!

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.87%

Relegated to Bugs in Limbo. To be honest there is a limit to how closely we will ever be able to emulate the NES - LCDs have different color balance than CRTs, monitors refresh faster than TVs, NES controllers' hardware lag is different from the keyboard's, etc - and there are diminishing returns to compensating for such hardware differences in software.

Thread Information