5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.6%
    you mean the big map in the subscreen, not the one in the upper left corner. If you make all the dmaps have the same rooms, the players won't know the difference in the upper left.
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill
    "Design ideas come to me during fetid fits of masturbation." - C-Dawg
    "I want to give NoeL a blowjob! ^_^" - Peteo
    "The magic boob should be mine any minute!" - Koopa
    "Suicide is the most sincere form of self-criticism" - My Film Professor

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.32%
    No, I mean the minimap too; though you are correct. You have to make sure the relative coordinates are the same or the player will see the little white dot jumping all over the place.

Frankly, in my quest I've gotten lazy with this and no longer care if the player sees the little white dot in wierd places. Its too tiresome to always make the player appear in the right spot; and since I'm currently pushing 130 Dmaps, I cant afford to use too many more to get those sort of effects.

-C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.82%
    I did something similar a few days ago in Days of Eternity. It was after I found out about that scroll warp with tile warping in another thread. Though my wall has 3 northern doors. The only problem I find (with the way I set it up) is if Link decides to walk to the door from the left or right, he will end up in a messed up position in the next room. I avoided that by placing blocks on the sides of the doors. Also, there is a fade to black effect in the warp.

Here's a screenshot:

Why is that walking left or right onto the warp a problem? You can not walk on the north wall, so I had to put the warps in front of the doors.

Edit: I know I could move the wall down a tile, but it would ruin the way I have things setup and I'd be doing some complicated stuff for no reason. Anyway, there is no need to come back down as this is a "one chance" pathway. Of course, the actual door to choose is obvious. :)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.32%
    Nice.

In answer to your question, the reason that approaching the warp from the sides is a problem is that the Scrolling Warp relies on the direction Link is moving to determine which way the scroll goes and where Link ends up. But you dont need to put blocks there to stop it- just make sure that only the middle door combo is walkable.

-C

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.6%
    hmmm, laziness many times equates to a bad product. I suggest you stop being lazy and fix all those white dot jumpers! It'll make your game more professional feeling and furthermore, less confuse the more newbie players who come play your quest.
    "If anybody says him/her/it without defining what they're talking about, the conversation is automatically about my p.e.n.i.s. :-D" - Wild Bill

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.82%
    Originally posted by C-Dawg
    Nice.

In answer to your question, the reason that approaching the warp from the sides is a problem is that the Scrolling Warp relies on the direction Link is moving to determine which way the scroll goes and where Link ends up. But you dont need to put blocks there to stop it- just make sure that only the middle door combo is walkable.

-C
    Me and my sloppy typing.

I was going to answer my own question in the post, but I forgot to. I already knew why it did it. That, however, is a good suggestion. I think I'll do that.

The way I've done this, no dots jump around, but my "elevator" in this level is a different story...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    0.32%
    "hmmm, laziness many times equates to a bad product. "

The same could be said of rushing...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.6%
    yes, but speediness does not always equate to bad quality. However laziness does.

Lynel
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    52.05%
    I've solved my white dot problems and subscreen map problems for good. How? I set the color of Link's location to black, and selected a blank area in the tileset for the dungeon map scroll ( (Link's location still shows up (in black) on the tan overworld map scroll). I also set both the big map foreground and background to be the same as the subscreen background color.

That means no more confusing signals to the player...the drawback being that if you have some more normal levels for which you have a working map, you have to kiss that working map goodbye.

A fix for this bug has definately made it to the top of my ZC wishlist. It makes working with the wonderful new pit combos much more difficult.
    A Knight Templar

The smilie d^_^isease will never find me in here!

Thread Information