Ok, I did some digging both here and PZC for any kind of documentation or understanding on this subject, and while I don't think I can definitively say this is a bug in the strictest sense, it's almost certainly unintended behavior that might need a look.

For the record, I'm using ZQuest 2.50 build 28 in Windows 10.

I want to make an animated Eyeball A combo. Simple enough, it's done like so:

The frames for each direction are laid out in order. However, due to me being contrary and somewhat lazy, I wanted each frame to have its directions listed in order:

I figured that animation skip would do this quite nicely, just set it to 7 and let it pick up on frame 2 after the directional images for frame one.

Nope, that would be easy.

For some reason, selecting animation skip has the intended effect of making the game look for all directions in order before looking for the next frame of animation, but the game still makes room for the frames of animation selected, even though it also looks for that animation after each complete set of directions. So to correctly animate an eyeball combo using animation skip, you are required to do this:

This doesn't seem to be intended behavior, it almost seems like ZQ is only half-implementing the skip by correctly ordering the directions but not disabling the buffer between directions meant for animation without the skip.