I don't read/write from ZASM bytecode at all. It's all separated. ZScript is only 32 bit integers, so this best maps to int by default. Having AS to be responsible for maintaining legacy zscript bytecode was never a goal, and I suspect never will be, but even though I'm not going to do it, maybe someone else will.

AS can work with native types easily, this includes pointers, primitives, and structs. ZScript can only handle one type: long.

You're thinking about it the wrong way:
The truth is nobody really wants (or has enough experience) to work with the ZC code because the reality of breaking computability is such a huge burden that most people are crushed by it instantly when they realize how difficult simple refactoring or other trivial things could become. In addition, we're basically running out of useful things to add to it due to complexity of working with the old systems. I'm not going to be able to get to a ZC 3.0, the best I can do is clean up some of the allegro stuff and replace it one thing at a time. You guys are pretty much the only new people who are working on ZC right now. Surely you realized by now that it's way more complicated than it needs to be, and that for all the cool stuff and good work you guys have done on 2.5x the amount of time spent for very minor improvements is sort of disproportional. If the next-gen of ZC developers want to do things differently, or even the same, then they should have that option, and I'll support them. Saffith has moved on, and the truth is I never really came back. I'm still semi-retired, and will probably stay that way for a while; I just have too many other things to do. At least Dark Dragon is currently around for the time being.

AS is something that is documented, works well, an anybody can work with without too much trouble. It's more for the future of ZC rather than the past, to put it one way. We won't even add it until 2.6 so it doesn't interfere with 2.5+.