Quote Originally Posted by lineas View Post
Somewhat, yes. The hookshot has different things it can do that the boomerang can't, and vice versa. But also, in my personal opinion, the items used in a given quest help to determine the overall feel of the game. If we're trying to make a game that is a successor to the original NES game, and we're touting it as the "fifth quest", I think it should be kept (mostly) within the constraints of what the NES game was capable, the whole point of a "second quest" is that it's supposed to be the SAME game, but with altered item placement, dungeons and harder enemies. You add the hookshot, then you HAVE to redesign the overworld to accommodate it, and that WOULD, in my opinion, change the feel of the game.
There would be a [very] small impact on gameplay if the hookshot was swapped with the boomerang. You don't have to redesign the overworld to accommodate the hookshot and doing so wasn't part of the hypothetical situation I asked you about. The only change is the item swap. There are no boomerang triggers in Z1 and it isn't required to defeat any enemies. The Nth quests have continued in the tradition of 1st and 2nd but have also become more lenient to fit in with more modern ZC quests. Letting 5th quest entrants have the ability to alter or 86 staple Z1 items that have little effect on gameplay is just fine in my book. The boomerang, red candle, and wand only serve to make the game accessible to beginners and people with little skill without being overly difficult. This is why many skilled players consider these items to be almost game-breaking.

Quote Originally Posted by lineas View Post
Besides, the same argument could be said about if people nerf weapons or place them too late in the game to be useful. If they do that, people won't vote for the game, cuz it's not fun.
That is a decision they will have to make isn't it? You can make strict rules about items but it will only discourage possible participants or have them looking for loopholes. Fun in your book might mean "too easy" but some people like a fair challenge and the absence of overpowered items.