http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/12/mar...ef=mpstoryview

Quote: When federal prosecutors in Virginia released details of the dogfighting charges against Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, all hell broke loose.

Folks were protesting, calling for him to be immediately kicked out of the league, and demanding long jail sentences for Vick and his co-defendants.

Many lawyers went on television and admitted that had Vick beat a girlfriend, shot or even murdered someone, he wouldn't have been slammed as hard as he was for the vicious acts committed against dogs.

I suppose those lawyers are right.

Just look at the case of Megan Williams. The 20-year-old West Virginia woman, Megan Williams, was kidnapped by six sadistic individuals and held in a mobile home.

They raped her, forced her to eat rat and dog feces, made her drink from a toilet, stabbed her multiple times, and called the black woman a "nigger" every time they beat her.

Thank God she lived, and may be released from the hospital in a few days.
------

This article is too true. Our (humans) outrage seems to be very disproportionate. There was a very huge visible outrage in the Vick incident. But the outrage for (as the example) the 20 year old black West Virginia woman isn't so visible.

Could it be that humanity is becoming "used to" these sort of atrocities against humanity? Could it be that we hear about it so much that we've almost become immune to it's affects?

I think it's a shame (and that's putting it mildly) when the media puts more emphasis on Britney's act (or mis-act) on MTV ... then the atrocities that happened against the West Virginia woman.

It seems the media places too much importance on the "screw ups" of actors/actresses and not enough importance on every day issues (for lack of a better way to put it).

And honestly I'm not sure how to have this fact ... fixed.