Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.53%

Worst NES Arcade Ports

I’m feeling nostalgic and I wanted to talk about arcade games that were ported to the NES and were royally screwed up in the process. Here are some of mine.

Double Dragon: Now, I am not trashing this game. I think it’s a really good game for what it is. But what it isn’t is a faithful port of the arcades game. The main thing that made the arcade version great was the 2-player co-op mode, which is missing from this version. The Vs mode does not replace that and is pretty boring besides.

Gauntlet: Anyone who has played the arcade version and then play this will understand. The graphics are a mess, the sound is terrible, and the gameplay lacks the intensity of the arcade version. This was an open-ended game where the only goal was to see how far you could go. I really didn't think the “quest” theme was needed here. Not every video game has to have an ending.

Xenophobe: It has come to me attention that not many people are aware of the arcade version of this game, but it exists and is nuch better. The arcade game offers more characters to choose from (the choice is purely aesthetic) instead of only three like the NES. On that subject; the arcade version would not allow players to choose the same character. In the NES version you are forced to do so. And what is the deal with aliens materializing out of thin air? The arcade game had enough aliens to fight without needing to do that. I could go on, but I would be writing a novel.

Gyruss: I had this game on the Commodore 64 and the Atari, but leave it to Nintendo to f*** it up. First of all, the map screen. What was wrong with the game just saying how many warps to the next planet? That wasn’t good enough? Then there’s the addition of level bosses. This wasn’t that kind of game! And lastly, getting to Earth was the original goal, and then you would start back out at Pluto again. Going beyond Earth to end(?) the game at Mercury was just wrong. If Nintendo thought they made this game better…they didn’t.

What arcade games do you think suffered when oorted to the NES?
    Last edited by TheDarkOne; 04-20-2022 at 06:00 PM.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.53%
    I apologize for the typographical error in the thread title but I don’t know how to edit that.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.75%
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkOne View Post
    I apologize for the typographical error in the thread title but I don’t know how to edit that.
    What? I love the good ol' BES.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.53%
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Miller View Post
    What? I love the good ol' BES.
    But you fixed it anyway so thanks.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.53%
    Guess nobody else has any thoughts on this topic. Oh, well.
    Last edited by TheDarkOne; 11-01-2022 at 06:23 PM. Reason: You know

Thread Information