Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    43.44%

Question Many versions of Zelda Classic

I'm relatively new to Zelda Classic, but I was surprised to find different versions of ZC. Specifically (as of creating this post) Zelda Classic 2.53.0 LTS, Zelda Classic 2.53.1 (Pre-Release), and Zelda Classic 2.55. It seems like ZC split into three forks, and each of them are being updated individually, and I'm really confused why there are three versions.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.52%
    Quote Originally Posted by guesty View Post
    I'm relatively new to Zelda Classic, but I was surprised to find different versions of ZC. Specifically (as of creating this post) Zelda Classic 2.53.0 LTS, Zelda Classic 2.53.1 (Pre-Release), and Zelda Classic 2.55. It seems like ZC split into three forks, and each of them are being updated individually, and I'm really confused why there are three versions.

2.53.0 is a full release with LTS. Once 2.53.1 is done, it will replace 2.53.0. both of these are primarily bugfixes to 2.50.x with some minor improvements.

2.55 is the active version with gigantic upgrades.

Feel free to read the changelogs:

2.53.1 Changelog

2.55 Changelog

There is no reason not to use 2.53.1 at present, as even in a Beta state is is far more stable than prior versions and it fixes many bugs.

If you want new features, use 2.55.

There will always be two active versions while I am in charge: The most current active and stable version, and the 'next version; in development. That said, 2.55 is generally stable, too, even as an Alpha build. We now use proper Semver.org version semantics, so Alpha now is Beta back in 2004-6.

In general, there will always be one 'Release' version, one Beta or Gamma version, and one ;alpha or beta' version. Development is more active now than it was in the past, and we work on more than one version simultaneously.

Thread Information