Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.06%

Zelda Classic - its future. 35+ adults only please

This is intended as a discussion for older people who are more mature in life and who aren't playing Zelda Classic - allowing you to be clear minded, rational and objective in your thoughts no matter how nasty they might be. But you should have been a fan of Zelda Classic at some point in your life preferably when it was first out in the early 2000s like myself. I tried a thread like this in pure but it seems like the younger people there don't really take well to it so hopefully if I post here they shouldn't go near it.

As you might know from pure, the fanbase of Zelda Classic is diminishing year by year. There are fewer quests made each year, fewer visitors and fewer quest makers. As for Armageddon Games well just take a look around. If the current trend continues then it'll be game over for Zelda Classic. In my view, the underlying reason for this trend is that scripting has made ZQuest inaccessible to new quest makers. It simply takes too much time for an aspiring quest maker to learn how to make a quest that is a "hit". So a new quest maker is going to either skip scripting and make a quest they aren't really proud of or spend a large amount of time learning how to script - and most will get deterred by this. No new quest makers means fewer quests, fewer quests mean less for the fans, less for the fans means no new quest makers - you get the picture.

We should all remember back to the pre-scripting days. The glory days of ZC - its golden age. I remember it like yesterday - thousands of fans and virtually everyone was a quest maker. NES Zelda was the currency accepted by the fanbase and quest-makers alike and every person and their dog had their own NES Zelda Nth quest. The reason why ZC was so successful was because the entry requirements for becoming a quest maker were very low. Anyone could make a quest similar to DarkFlameWolf's classics easily and without any real barrier to entry. And that lead to the huge numbers of fans and a large fanbase. Nowadays, no one will even touch a NES quest and no aspiring quest makers want to make a NES quest - despite ZC having being built and designed for exactly and precisely that purpose.

Recently, there was a 6th quest contest and the results of it should be very depressing compared to the glory days of the 3rd quest contest. You all remember how successful that was right? What's worrisome about it is that there was a very low turn out of would-be contestants and only a handful actually finished their quests. It says to me that quest makers are finding it too expensive to make a quest they think is quality and that will sell well to everyone else. What should be even more worrisome is that all the completions are heavily scripted apart from Gleeok's and Glenn's older completions which no one would even go near. I tried the newer completions and I'm thinking to myself "how on earth would a newbie quest maker learn to do all this?". One of the newer completions is going to be the winner of the quest contest - I have no doubt. I have this picture in my mind of a newcomer to ZC using it for the first time and absolutely in awe of the 6th quest winner. They aspire to make a quest like that. Then they see how much scripting they have to learn to make something similar to it. And they are forever put off quest making.

The scripting genie has been let out of the bottle and it can never be put back in. Even if it could, the modern fanbase would never accept NES Zelda again and there would be too much work involved to remake ZC's engine so that it has the features that the modern fanbase wants. So what are the solutions to this problem? I don't see any solution to this problem outside of a very long shot. Credit to Zoria - at least he sees the writing on the wall and has a plan to fix it. The solution involves getting rid of the Zelda branding in the game's engine so that copyright isn't an issue anymore. Then, "pro" quest makers who have mastered scripting can sell their quests to the ZC fanbase like any normal steam game. We're all older in life and should know how important money is and how influential and necessary it is hmm? There are inherent and obvious risks with this plan - firstly getting rid of the Zelda branding is going to hurt the game's popularity and reach. Zelda is iconic and replacing it with something else is going to attract fewer aspirants. Secondly, is the ZC fanbase going to accept paying for their games like a steam game? Another drawcard for ZC is that its completely free to play and changing that is going to be a very risky move. Finally, allowing quest makers to sell their quest doesn't solve the problem of investment. Quest makers need their money as they are making the quest - not when their quest is finally made.

But what other choice does ZC have? The status quo is almost certainly going to lead to a game over. What are your thoughts?
    James's three laws of quest making:

1) Quest makers put their tastes and preferences first and everyone else second
    2) The "everyone else second" part can only be implemented if and only if it takes a very short time.
    3) If large amounts of money are being paid for the quest change rule number 1 to "sponsor tastes first and own tastes second" and rule number 2 to "must be implemented even if it takes nearly forever".

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.57%
    That would be like an apocalypse of Zelda Classic. It was a total dream come true when I first got into Zelda Classic back in 2001 and making my own quest. It was perfect for newcomers and I was in heaven at the time. I was making my own Willow NES game too. I could make almost all other nes games when it came to sidescrolling and top-view type games and I could improvise within the ZC limits really good as newer features got implemented, it has widened it's limits reaching closer to it's potential. This was until the scripting came in. Scripting is very off putting to the majority of the people who love ZC especially for newbies. Scripting in my eyes requires a 4 year college education to barely get a hang of it and understanding parts of scripting. I just hope Zelda Classic doesn't die as it seems to be in the elderly phase.

I think it would be a good idea that essential scripted things such as pits, shovel, lift objects, ice, etc. turns into features down the road like someone made a sideview test quest that was made by scripting before the Roc's Feather item and "Sideview Gravity" screen flag came in.

Let's hope ZC stays alive!

How many licks to get to the center Chris Miller's Avatar
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    37.75%
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. Around 2012 I finally finished Titan's Quest, which I guess will be my Zelda Classic magnum opus, as it were. I was about to move on with another project, it hit me that it would be basically pointless to do so. I know just enough about coding to look like an idiot, and it seemed like every new quest, big or small, relied heavily on ZScript. As time has gone by, I've fallen so far behind the curve that it all might as well be wizardry.

Download Lands of Serenity today! You will be knocked comatose by its sheer awesomeness.
    The Titan's Quest, best played in the bathroom as the excitement can be somewhat...overwhelming.

Official AGN Discord Channel

Official ZC Dev Discord Channel

Banned
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    92.32%
    Yes, scripting is the DOOM of ZC! Adding a new feature set clearly dooms a program.
    You want to make a non-scripted quest? You go right ahead.
    You want to make a quest with some scripts but don't know how to script? Script Requests forum. Scripting database.
    You want to have a fully scripted quest, with all sorts of bells and whistles? That's harder. That takes learning. But, it's not out of reach.

You want new features in the engine? Why not look at the 2.55 alphas, then? A metric fuckton of new features.

James, all you do is doomsay and act like a child throwing a fit when people don't agree with you. This contributes nothing.

https://www.purezc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=75442

Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.54%
    I haven't made any quest in years, but I have thought about starting again sometime. If I make one I'll just use what parts of it I understand, and like to use. I don't care if it's a popular quest or not, I'm not a competitive person, I just did it for fun. If people like them, they like them, if they don't, they don't. I'm just glad ZC didn't get shut down like many other fan games have.

Woo hoo, look at the tektites dance!

I just think I'd be happier as a pretty lesbian girl. -- Glenn the Great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.47%
    Funny, I was just looking into ZC again. I have forgotten how to use it, so I have to start the learning curve from scratch, but I want to try to make a quest again. No matter what happens to the program and community going forward, the actual program will never go away. I think it will be fun for my children when they are older.
    "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord..."
    "In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst."

Gibdo
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.57%
    I checked out 2.55 and i am impressed by the semi-customizable combo type like the "generic" combo type and other things like it. The other features i find are a work in progress and not fully implimented. It's looking amazing in the future.

On top of the world ShadowTiger's Avatar
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60.11%
    Achievements It's over 9000!
    Even with a mind like mine that is analogous to an amoeba struggling to determine the true scope of the hamburger they are about to attempt an uncertain ingestion of, I am still able to wrap my head around crafting an extremely simple script that sets the player's health to a certain value and then stops doing anything. There are tutorials out there that show you how basic scripting works and let you get your toes wet. Saffith wrote one such tutorial and I'm happy to say I latched onto it pretty well. I'll probably never be able to do Moosh-level scripting sorcery, but I'll at least be able to use ZScript for little things that I need, and can maybe use some FFCScripts where necessary from other sources.

I'll always be a person that will miss the 2002 - 2006 ZC, but it's like with anything else in life. If you're not adaptable, and you're not willing to try, you won't get very far.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.53%
    I still haven’t totally figured out ZQuest, let alone scripting. I did one cool thing, though. I was playing around with one of the remakes of the first quest and hid the fire boomerang somewhere. All I will say is that makes one of the hints you get from the old men mean something a little different.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Banned
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.48%
    I don't know; does the ZC community even have 35 adults? Adding that + in there with the assumption you can even find more than 35 of them is a big kek.

Thread Information