14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    85.7%
    Grinding isn't only restricted to the blue ring, there's the bow and arrow too.

For someone who likes to have their quest resemble the original Zelda please bear in mind that the original Zelda didn't have kaizo difficulty in either the first or second quest. So if you make that glaring difference then why not make other changes? There are also custom enemies in the quest that aren't in the original Zelda. So if you are willing to make custom enemies then why not change other aspects of design?

You can't get into Death Mountain without the 8 pieces of the triforce. If you have the 8 pieces of the triforce, then presumably you would have beaten 8 bosses and got 8 more heart containers. And yeah, the demo quest was good right up to the point where you had to burn the statue which didn't shoot fireballs.

Finally, if you did restrict Zelda 3's secrets to those three items then you haven't communicated that anywhere to the player. How does the player know that you won't have a burning statue somewhere?

Zoria - I've played plenty of old Nintendo games, Zelda is the only game I know of that uses secrets to hide things essential to game completion without any hint of where it is. Care to name others?

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    35.08%
    Quote Originally Posted by James24 View Post
    I've played plenty of old Nintendo games, Zelda is the only game I know of that uses secrets to hide things essential to game completion without any hint of where it is. Care to name others?
    Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link.

Pretty much all the Zelda games do such things, it's what makes them so fun, finding all the secrets. For example, in LA I found purely by accident that taking exactly five seashells to Seashell Mansion gets you a free shell--I just happened to have five when I first stumbled upon the place.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    64.8%
    * stuff *
    Okay, the original Zelda didn't have 15 levels either, this is just nitpicking.

And the reason I assume people know this is because it is generally, in Z1 style quests, accepted that these are the only type of secrets that will have no hints. Most quest builders don't do random secrets with no hints unless it's for game breaking items or cheat codes, the acception being the type that Zelda 1 used. So it wasn't unreasonable to assume the player wasn't paranoid, flailing about, bombing trees and burning lakes.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.7%
    Grinding isn't only restricted to the blue ring, there's the bow and arrow too.
    [...]

Zoria - I've played plenty of old Nintendo games, Zelda is the only game I know of that uses secrets to hide things essential to game completion without any hint of where it is. Care to name others?

Covering 1985 through 1987:

Bokusuka Wars
    Bubble Bobble
    Challenger
    Dracula II: Norio no Fuuin (CV2)
    Getsu Fuuma-den
    Goonies II
    Gun.Smoke
    Higemaru Makaijima - Nanatsu no Shima Daibouken
    Ikki
    King Kong 2: Ikari no Megaton Punch
    Majou Densetsu II: The Maze of Galious
    Makaimura (Ghosts and Goblins)
    Meikyuu Kumikyoku (Milon's Secret Castle)
    Metroid
    Section Z
    Super Pitfall
    Super Xevious
    Tower of Druaga
    Zelda no Densetsu
    Zelda II

I may have missed some.

Thread Information