Quote Originally Posted by jman2050 View Post
On the bright side, a full DMCA would be just the excuse needed to fully rewrite the code!

I've always been of two minds regarding how to deal with the mess that is ZC's code, and even now looking at it I'm still unsure as to how it should proceed. A lot of future headaches would be averted if the entire thing were just refactored into something more extensible and less spaghetti-entrenched, but there would be a ton of current headaches if the goal was to maintain compatibility with all current quests, which is something I still want to do.

Part of me wants to just bite the bullet and do it anyway. I don't think it's a question of can it be done, it's just whether I or anyone else wants to go through the trouble. So basically the same song-and-dance that's been going on for years now
I think it should be done too. Pour everything into 2.53 getting everything up to from 1.84 on working properly, then rewrite after that. There have been a lot of pesky things even in quest making that have popped up over the years and a soft reset might not be horrible for just stability alone.

I just ask if you change the system like that, you would write a 2.53 converter somehow into ZQuest 2.6+

-James