Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.57%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    I'll look into the strings when I have a chance. That is a far more minor issue than the other more abundant problems.
    It's not a big issue in itself, but why did it happen? Were you bringing in changes from an out-of-sync repo? I only noticed that because it's obvious and it's easy to see why it happened. Who knows what else might have broken?

OnExit should run when the game exits, via F6, Game->End(), or when Link dies. It does that now. It is OnExit, not OnWinGame. The purpose is to clean up global vars, bitmaps, and other things that you want to clear when the game ends by death, or by F6. I'm not sure when this broke, or when it was fixed, but it definitely did not work in 2.50.2, it might have in 2.50.1 or 2.50.0, and it does work in 2.50.3RC1 and 2.53.0.
    Oh, yeah, that makes sense. The issue with it not initializing global arrays after F6->Continue was a side effect of it not running scripts if Quit was nonzero. I hadn't thought about it, but obviously that would affect OnExit, too.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.64%
    Just an FYI on what I needed to edit for it to run Fullscreen without fps issues and glitchy/color/seizures:

vsync = 1
    frame_rest_suggest = 0
    1600x1200 resolution - This was selectable via ZLaunch.

This is on a GeForce 1070 with a 4k TV with a standard 60hz refresh. Windows 10 Pro x64 all up to date.

Vsyncing my high refresh monitor is a different story. <_<

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffith View Post
    It's not a big issue in itself, but why did it happen? Were you bringing in changes from an out-of-sync repo? I only noticed that because it's obvious and it's easy to see why it happened. Who knows what else might have broken?

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. The issue with it not initializing global arrays after F6->Continue was a side effect of it not running scripts if Quit was nonzero. I hadn't thought about it, but obviously that would affect OnExit, too.

Ah-ha. That may have been all that changed, then; because the user reports that I saw, that indicated that OnExit was broken, were all array-related. This makes more sense now.

Again, this was not a change that I made. It occurred in 2.50.3RC1, so it is apparently linked to the array changes, and I had forgotten about those. I need to note them in the changelog.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Just an FYI on what I needed to edit for it to run Fullscreen without fps issues and glitchy/color/seizures:

vsync = 1
    frame_rest_suggest = 0
    1600x1200 resolution - This was selectable via ZLaunch.

This is on a GeForce 1070 with a 4k TV with a standard 60hz refresh. Windows 10 Pro x64 all up to date.

Vsyncing my high refresh monitor is a different story. <_<
    Thank you @Tim . I will see if I can document some of this stuff, in a FAQ at some point. ZLaunch needs to be updated, too.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    Regarding the version strings: my understanding is that Zoria merged in some changes from before the github repository was established and this is the cause of the reversible.

Zoria, I assume that everything on your end is now configured so that your local copy is kept constantly in sync, and you can easily send small and frequent pull requests (including a fix for the issues Saffith identified)?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    Is there an update on this? Zoria, if you think some unintended changes snuck into the last patch, I can roll it back, and we can merge in one change at a time, carefully reviewing each one.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Well, the verdict is in......

Unofficial 3rd Quest works! https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bGdjckeVQxsJRz

Yhr only quests that don't work are the 1.02 and the 1.84 quests, which unfortunately, don't think we can save.

Enjoy people.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Is there an update on this? Zoria, if you think some unintended changes snuck into the last patch, I can roll it back, and we can merge in one change at a time, carefully reviewing each one.
    ]

I'm starting clean with a pull from the AGN GH branch to my local filesystem. I think that my fork was corrupted by merges from two sources, but I do not know how easy it will be to mend it. I may need to do some fiddling. This is just another reason that better branch management would help. If I could add a branch to the AGN repo, it would also appear on my fork, and then I could fold it in without touching this mess.

Is there a --hard version of git push?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%
    This is just another reason that better branch management would help. If I could add a branch to the AGN repo, it would also appear on my fork, and then I could fold it in without touching this mess.
    I don't understand what you're asking. You can create all the branches you want to your clone of the repo: switch to the branch you want to use as the starting point, and type
    Code:
    git checkout -b nameofbranch
    You can't add a branch on the official repository but doing so doesn't even make any sense. All operations you do are local, and have nothing to do with AGN's branches. The only times you need to interact with AGN's repository is (1) when "git pull" or "git fetch"ing new changes from other developers, or (2) when submitting pull requests.

I strongly recommend watching some tutorials like this one. 30 minutes now can save you hours of frustration (mis)using git and then trying to figure out how to fix it.

Is there a --hard version of git push?
    Yes, there is a force option. It's almost always a disaster to use unless you really know exactly what you're doing.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    I don't understand what you're asking. You can create all the branches you want to your clone of the repo: switch to the branch you want to use as the starting point, and type
    Code:
    git checkout -b nameofbranch
    You can't add a branch on the official repository but doing so doesn't even make any sense. All operations you do are local, and have nothing to do with AGN's branches. The only times you need to interact with AGN's repository is (1) when "git pull" or "git fetch"ing new changes from other developers, or (2) when submitting pull requests.

I strongly recommend watching some tutorials like this one. 30 minutes now can save you hours of frustration (mis)using git and then trying to figure out how to fix it.

Yes, there is a force option. It's almost always a disaster to use unless you really know exactly what you're doing.
    I've used most of the basic commands for Git. I understand git checkout, and once in a while, git merge has issues because of file creation dates, or something strange. I wonder if that is a time zone issue ??? GitHub should respect time-zone location, but who knows. git push --hard seems lie a good option to overwrite the files in a branch without worrying about merge conflicts, as all of those conflicts would need some form of manual resolution, and I would be keeping the version from the AGN repo in all cases, for this, to replace the bastardised files in my repo for this branch (2.50.x).

Once this has a stable release, we do need to add a frozen branch of 2.53.0.

I do need to learn more about using git merge, as the various commands and forms for it, are a bit above my level of experience.

FWIW, I detest watching videos on these things. I prefer textbook style docs, that illustrate the process, and the instructions. They are much easier to boomark, and chop up to use as references With a video, if you need to review something you are usually stuck committing an hour to rewatching it merely to find the position where the video covers that topic, but as a document, this is not a problem.

Why does everyone use 30 to 60 minute long videos for what can be explained in five pages of text, these days?

Thread Information