70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.74%
    This is just another reason that better branch management would help. If I could add a branch to the AGN repo, it would also appear on my fork, and then I could fold it in without touching this mess.
    I don't understand what you're asking. You can create all the branches you want to your clone of the repo: switch to the branch you want to use as the starting point, and type
    Code:
    git checkout -b nameofbranch
    You can't add a branch on the official repository but doing so doesn't even make any sense. All operations you do are local, and have nothing to do with AGN's branches. The only times you need to interact with AGN's repository is (1) when "git pull" or "git fetch"ing new changes from other developers, or (2) when submitting pull requests.

I strongly recommend watching some tutorials like this one. 30 minutes now can save you hours of frustration (mis)using git and then trying to figure out how to fix it.

Is there a --hard version of git push?
    Yes, there is a force option. It's almost always a disaster to use unless you really know exactly what you're doing.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    I don't understand what you're asking. You can create all the branches you want to your clone of the repo: switch to the branch you want to use as the starting point, and type
    Code:
    git checkout -b nameofbranch
    You can't add a branch on the official repository but doing so doesn't even make any sense. All operations you do are local, and have nothing to do with AGN's branches. The only times you need to interact with AGN's repository is (1) when "git pull" or "git fetch"ing new changes from other developers, or (2) when submitting pull requests.

I strongly recommend watching some tutorials like this one. 30 minutes now can save you hours of frustration (mis)using git and then trying to figure out how to fix it.

Yes, there is a force option. It's almost always a disaster to use unless you really know exactly what you're doing.
    I've used most of the basic commands for Git. I understand git checkout, and once in a while, git merge has issues because of file creation dates, or something strange. I wonder if that is a time zone issue ??? GitHub should respect time-zone location, but who knows. git push --hard seems lie a good option to overwrite the files in a branch without worrying about merge conflicts, as all of those conflicts would need some form of manual resolution, and I would be keeping the version from the AGN repo in all cases, for this, to replace the bastardised files in my repo for this branch (2.50.x).

Once this has a stable release, we do need to add a frozen branch of 2.53.0.

I do need to learn more about using git merge, as the various commands and forms for it, are a bit above my level of experience.

FWIW, I detest watching videos on these things. I prefer textbook style docs, that illustrate the process, and the instructions. They are much easier to boomark, and chop up to use as references With a video, if you need to review something you are usually stuck committing an hour to rewatching it merely to find the position where the video covers that topic, but as a document, this is not a problem.

Why does everyone use 30 to 60 minute long videos for what can be explained in five pages of text, these days?

Thread Information