27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.95%
    So passing an array pointer is fine, but putting an array pointer inside an array isn't? One level of indirection is fine, but not two?

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    Morning eyes. I see how what he is doing is the same.

Passing an array pointer to a function is what I assume the behavior being abused was meant to support is different from creating a spaghetti bowl of arrays of pointers to arrays being passed around for the fun of it.

At least I see why saffith did it. Tell me something. If the only option is a conversion tool or even if ZS gets updated to a language with standard types, how would you support that?

It seems to me the people against replacing ZS are the ones hacking it to do things it really wasn't meant to do, things a better scripting language could easily do.

Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    51.7%
    I'm starting to come around. In the context of ZS, anyway. Seeing how ghost.zh used it has my gears turning on how this could be really useful.

Its like a guy playing guitar using only his thumbs, and I'm like, "so what. I can play that and not look like a potato!" And then he shreds that Vai piece from that corny 80s film and I'm like, maybe I should try that.... Potato up!

I'd still rather have a better scripting language.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.44%
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayswandir View Post
    So passing an array pointer is fine, but putting an array pointer inside an array isn't? One level of indirection is fine, but not two?
    The way LocalRAM works is sort of guaranteeing you won't get crashes or random memory, however you should get a wall of out-of-bounds errors if you manage array lifetimes wrong. It also means arrays in ZScript are sort of stuck that way now and can't be fixed.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    The way LocalRAM works is sort of guaranteeing you won't get crashes or random memory, however you should get a wall of out-of-bounds errors if you manage array lifetimes wrong. It also means arrays in ZScript are sort of stuck that way now and can't be fixed.
    Well, they could be 'fixed' if we truly wanted to go to the effort of adding real arrays, which AFAIK we don't. If we did, they'd just be declared with different syntax, and be true array data, but that's a lot of effort for little reward, save that strings would be real char. I wanted to do that once upon a time, but I've been convinced otherwise more recently.

It is true that if the stored pointers become invalid, the user will hit boundary walls, or other errors may occur; but that is purely user error. You can't possibly package every possible code mishap in bubble plastic to make it extra-safe from any incident.

I'll wait for a working example of your implementation before I discuss anything further on the subject, unless there are any factual, genuine concerns that now exist to discuss. I think that we covered the basics thus far, made some decisions, and have a direction. Once all of our code is in line, our ducks fall in line to be exterminated, and Venus gives Jupiter a celestial lap dance, we can have yet-another-tangent; so, a few months?

I'm frankly sick to death of this entire debate, which we could have resolved far more efficiently if everyone was on the same page from the onset. I should have been more blatant when I initially mentioned the problems that are genuine concerns. Good luck, and happy programming.

Thread Information