Almost exactly a year ago there was discussing about switching ZC to using AngelScript instead of ZScript, and it had some support at the time, and Gleeok and Saffith did quite a bit of work on incorporating AngelScript and porting over some of the engine internals... and then it was backtracked.

Gleeok in another thread posted
This would allow new systems to be created that can simply piggy-back off the old ones but also be tightly coupled with scripts that can actually rewrite built-in behaviors without having major issues or losing compatability (or creating bugs with existing quests). The new npc scripts and supporting of various global callbacks I envisioned would be a good test of that experiment before doing anything else with that. ...It's not been worked on really, but it should be. .. :/

I think I'm going to make putting in the compiler/script processor/script engine my next priority besides the few other things I have here. Even if it's not used immediately, if I can get a ZScript->angelscript conversion utility working you might take it more seriously.
and so I wanted to (re)start a discussion about AngelScript in ZC. Some points in particular I'm curious about:

1. What were the lessons learned last year during the effort to incorporate AngelScript? What are the big challenges?
2. Is it feasible to switch to AngelScript while maintaining compatibility with old quests (presumably, this would require only supporting the ZASM interpreter, and ZScript could be dropped entirely)? Or would an AngelScript-driven ZC live in its own ecosystem separate from the existing program and quests?
3. What concrete steps would need to be taken to adopt AngelScript, to minimize the time until we have a functional release candidate, if we decide to do this?

Making a plan sooner rather than later seems prudent, as it will help dictate whether effort should be put into expanding the power of ZScript, vs. working on its replacement.