Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.08%
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    I didn't change any DirectDraw libraries (I don't think that this is a good idea; the only alternative set I tried caused problems with the sound playback). I did patch Allegro to hopefully not crash DD anymore, though. Those fixes are included in the precompiled allegro lib and dlls.

Including winflex.exe and winbison.exe is not entirely unreasonable, though I'll have to check the licenses and make sure this is OK.

I have no idea why link.exe is crashing it's worrying, but if it's producing working binaries....
    Here are the binaries that it produced: http://timelord.insomnia247.nl/zc/zc..._Allegro44.zip

You might want to inspect them for any kind of corruption caused by the linker crashing. I don't know why it is happening.

I'm going to try to get a few users to test this build.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.08%
    I'm seeing some framerate loss. I presume that is because of the debug flag on this, and that it is writing to the debug files during operation?

There is also some kind of bitmap corruption happening when setting ullscreen. THe imnitial time it is set, nothing seems wrong, but wexiting fullscreen to windowed mode, and returning, there is.

To replicate this:

Launch zelda.exe
    Start playing 1st.qst
    Change from windowed mode to fullscreen
    Change from fullscreen to large window
    Change back to fullscreen

The black borders become pink, drawn as colour 0 rendered visible, and windows gadgets will flicker through them. Perhaps the system palette isn't being set properly somehow.

Further, the mouse cursor is not visible when ZC first opens, and lacks a save file. Clicking OK/Cancel is rather hard to do without that.

Oh my. Starting in fullscreen, the colour table is corrupted. Invisible colours are rendered as pink, and there are numerous other colour artefacts.

The pixel ratio is also incorrect, which you cannot see from that screenshot.

This is on Win7, not Win10.

Dropping out of fullscreen to windowed mode fixes the palette, so somewhere in the process of converting the desktop to 8-bit, it isn't properly setting the system palette.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.38%
    Ok. I will fix the mouse issue.

The palette issue I will look into as well; it works for me on Win 10. To make sure I understand, the problem occurs when you

1. Start in fullscreen, or
    2. Start windowed, go fullscreen, go windowed, go back to fullscreen;

but not when you

3. Start windowed, and go fullscreen (only once)?

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.08%
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkDragon View Post
    Ok. I will fix the mouse issue.

The palette issue I will look into as well; it works for me on Win 10. To make sure I understand, the problem occurs when you

1. Start in fullscreen, or
    2. Start windowed, go fullscreen, go windowed, go back to fullscreen;

but not when you

3. Start windowed, and go fullscreen (only once)?
    Correct, save that it does not occur if you start in 320x240. If you start with 640x480, and go to fullscreen, it likewise corrupts the colours.

Other notes. The video mode becomes corrupt if you do fullscreen before loading a quest, from 320x240. If you load a quest (I tested 1st.qst) first, it plays with normal colours until you exit fullscreen. If you alt+tab out, and later return focus to zc, the colours are wildly corrupted.

I wish that I could show you, but trying to capture the screen with Print Screen grabs pure black, rather than the true display. Those other images also lacked some colours that were visible on-screen.

When returning to fullscreen after alt+tab, if you click the screen to freeze the game, then unfreeze it by clicking it, the in-game palette is partially restored. The border is still hot pink, and the subscreen colours are wrong.

System event popups also appear over the display, and flicker. For example, Skype notifications are drawn in the middle of the screen.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.38%
    I'm seeing some framerate loss. I presume that is because of the debug flag on this
    Yes, probably. Does it run at the full 60 FPS when you build in Release mode?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.38%
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoriaRPG View Post
    Correct, save that it does not occur if you start in 320x240. If you start with 640x480, and go to fullscreen, it likewise corrupts the colours.
    Ok, thanks. I will investigate.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.08%
    I have not set that flag yet. I'll report on it as soon as I do.

I wanted to ensure that debug mode worked first, as that produced additional components.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.38%
    I've fixed the mouse cursor issue.

The palette problem has me puzzled, though, since the code does save and restore the palette when it switches video modes.

Can you try your experiment (start Allegro in 640x480 mode, then switch to fullscreen) and paste your allegro.log file?

System event popups also appear over the display, and flicker. For example, Skype notifications are drawn in the middle of the screen.
    Is this a new development? Or has this always been the case?

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.09%
    Are these problems on the master branch, or the alegg44-dx8 branch?

If the linker crashes it's usually because of corrupted (incompatible) libraries. An alternative method might be to remove libs from the linker until it replaces crashes with unresolved errors.

Maybe the flex/bison dependency thing is more trouble than before?
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.38%
    Are these problems on the master branch, or the alegg44-dx8 branch?
    I've been talking to ZoriaRPG and they've been happening since 2.50.2 at least. Probably a problem with his system DirectDraw libraries? Gleeok, does fullscreen work for you?

Maybe the flex/bison dependency thing is more trouble than before?
    It's only a problem if you have two different version of flex/bison on your PATH. Usually it Just Works (you have flex and bison installed) or does nothing to compile the ZScript language (ie, same as the old approach).

Thread Information