Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%

Testers Needed for ZC [2.future] , v2.54

Zelda Classic [2.future] is coming along nicely, and we've reached a point where we need some community aid, in ensuring that it will be as solid an edition for ZC as anyone can want. Therefore, given that this new versionis going to need four distinct types of testing, we're looking forthree to fivepeople (initially, although if we need more, so be it)who are interesting in assisting us with these processes.

Here is an outline of the types of testing that are mandatory:

Quest Compatibility
    We need people to play existing quests, from 2.50.x, 2.10, 19.2, and so forth, and report any bugs that occur in 2.54 that are related to things that may have changed. This consequently may reveal bugs in 2,.50.3, that we can fix at the same time. Bugs ranging from minor to major, or esoteric; are all important to fix, even for older quests. We certainly want 2.54 to be able to play the full ZC quest library.

If any LPer is interested in doing this, and posting videos of bugs, that would be exceptionally helpful.

New Feature Testing
    testing the programme, via Quest Building: We need people to test new features, by making quests using them. Report if any bugs exist, and if the features work as documented. These can be simple demos, or fully-playable quests. That's up to you. Should you choose to build a playable quest, we will do our best to support it in future builds.

This includes testing editor features, and ZScript features, including language extensions, should we implement any.

This further includes Implementation Change Testing: When we change something, we need people to test if the implementation breaks anything that we had already done. In most cases, the change is fully documented, so behavioural changes will be easy to find, but once in a while, a minor change can cause major headaches.

Stability Testing
    There are two main branches for 2.54: One, uses Allegro 4.2, as 2.50.x has done, and the other, uses Allegro 4.4.3, which is ?much newer?, uses DirectX 8, fixes many long-standing issues, but may introduce any number of unknown problems. At present, it has a critical stability bug when trying to play any non-MIDI/non-WAV sound file, that we are trying to solve.

We need testers who are willing to cope with these stability problems, test the programme, and report anything that causes hangs, or crashes. Unstable betas are not released in the main thread.

Cross-Platform Testing
    We will need users on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX, to test the above three categories across these platforms. If we for any reason expand the covered platforms, we will need testers for anything new, too.
    Allegro 4.4.3 supports BeOS, QNX, and PSP's OS. I've no idea yet if our other dependencies can run on any of those, though.

Testers will receive top-priority support, change documentation,latest builds, notification of daily builds, and prioritised consideration for suggestions/requests.

Any user who is interested, please reply to this thread; not by PM. Thank you, on behalf of the [2.future] Dev Team.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    75.69%
    Is it going to feature backwards compatibility with 1.90 and 1.92? I may be able to take those for a test.

-James

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/nightmarejames YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/nightmarejames

Game Projects
    Zelda Classic:
    Completed: Zelda NES Remastered, Demo 1st Quest, Demo 2nd Quest, James Quest: Remastered (V 2.1), Memorial Quest, New Quest 2 2015. New Quest: Rebuilt
    In development: Demo SP, James Quest: Remastered (V 3.0)t, 6QI

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Is it going to feature backwards compatibility with 1.90 and 1.92? I may be able to take those for a test.

-James
    It follows the same standards of backward-compatibility as 2.50, and all other ZC versions. That meaning, that all older quests should play normally.

If you do find a quest that doesn't play in it, I would however ask this: If the quest does not play properly in 2.54, test it also in 2.50.3. If it plays properly in 2.50.3, then the bug is in 2.54 and should be reported as such.

If it also has problems in 2.50.3, then the bugs need to be reported in the main bug reports forum, flagged as 2.50.3.

Our goal is always to maintain full compatibility with quests made in any major release of ZC, and any bugs that prevent that, require fixing.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.63%
    I want to be a beta tester. I was just thinking why there were no new builds for 2017 now we are over 30 days into the new year!

Banned
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.48%
    Quote Originally Posted by luckilla View Post
    I want to be a beta tester. I was just thinking why there were no new builds for 2017 now we are over 30 days into the new year!
    Perfect, would you be interested in testing some of my item changes and making sure they don't break existing quests?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.63%
    Sounds good to me. Is there a new build to test these item changes?

Banned
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.48%
    I'll send you the build once I finish fixing the known bugs. The build is not currently public, as I've been getting carried away adding new features and making sure they actually work

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    54.63%
    Ok sounds good. I did not know you were the one responsible for the new build until you responded to my post. I look forward to downloading it.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    68.7%
    You can try this build to start out.

It is a tad old, but a newer build is taking longer than I at first anticipated.

Thread Information