User Tag List

Thread: Too many HCs crashes ZC (very minor)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.45%

Sick Bug Too many HCs crashes ZC (very minor)

I was testing a scripted boss for my quest, decided to max out my HP via cheat menu. Wasn't sure on the cap, so i just added 999999 HCs, expecting that it would either auto-cap it to the max the engine could handle, or return an error telling me to make the number an integer between 1 and whatever the cap is. Instead it gave me this:

Then promptly crashed. I doubt anyone will ever cause this error during an actual playthrough, but yeah, it's there. Whether I hit abort, retry or ignore, it crashes. "This program has stopped working." with the options to either close the program, or search online, then close the program.
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Here lies mero. Died by his own dumbassitude.
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.96%
    Take note when you set Heart Containers your probably setting HP too. 16 HP per HC.
    999999 * 16 = 15999984

Yeah of course it would crash. That goes beyond the max for the type HP uses.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    95.45%
    Programming 101, if assigning a value to a dialog box crashes the program, you auto-cap the max integer or otherwise prevent the dialogue box from assigning a number it can't handle. You see it all the time, even in ZC and ZQ "Please use a number between 1-255(or whatever the maximum integer the system can handle)". Not including something that prevents crashing in these situations is a bug, it is a failure in the program's design. Now, if you want to point out that it's a very *minor* bug that most people will never come across, and thus isn't high priority, that's a fair point, but to act like it should be an expected aspect of the program is just asinine and lazy.
    Please check out my current project, The Legend of Zelda: Trials of the Gods
    http://armageddongames.net/showthrea...ls-of-the-Gods
    Current release: V3.1 (Demo)

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.58%
    Turns out it does cap the value, just not quite correctly. It caps the value at 65536 HP, which in an unsigned short int becomes 0, causing a subsequent assert(low<=high) to fail.
    Fixed.

Thread Information