178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.03%
    No, that's something that needs to be fixed in the rewrite. It's not going to work as long as ZC runs in 8-bit color, and it's a very big deal to change that.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%
    My TV is 1080p, and I run my mac at 720p just so I can see what I'm doing. The problem is in the resolution it runs at not whether it's 8-bit or 16-bit 32-bit 64-bit or a million-bit. It's operating resolution. Now Zquest runs at 800x600 and ZC runs at 640x480 and don't tell me you can't change that because I've done that myself in the past. I can tell you you that you haven't done enough for mac users. Download this and set your screens to 1280x720 and see what can be done.

Keep in mind I had to transfer these files to my old Windows 7 PC so I could edit them.

http://www.speedyshare.com/aba5j/zc-2-50-1-mac-721.zip

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.18%
    You can change the window size in the config file by setting "resx, resy" options.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeok View Post
    You can change the window size in the config file by setting "resx, resy" options.
    Where is this config file? I don't see it in the mac version.

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.03%
    In finder, right-click the ZC application and click "Show Package Contents," then go to Contents/Resources. It's ag.cfg.

Keese
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    47.6%
    Quote Originally Posted by Saffith View Post
    In finder, right-click the ZC application and click "Show Package Contents," then go to Contents/Resources. It's ag.cfg.
    Thanks now how do I do that with the zquest editor? Also give me some resolution levels to experiment with on both zc and editor that would look good at 720p and 1080p

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.03%
    Scaling is in integer multiples of 320x240, so the larger sizes are 640x480, 960x720, 1280x960, 1600x1200...

ZQuest works differently. You set the multiple rather than the resolution, and there are different settings for the old and new interfaces. The new ZQuest interface goes by multiples of 800x600, so the next size up is 1600x1200. If you want that, set scale_large=2 in ZQuest's ag.cfg. If you'd rather try the old interface, set small to 1 and set scale to resize it. That one goes by 320x240, so scale=3 is 960x720, and scale=4 is 1280x960.

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.26%
    No, that's something that needs to be fixed in the rewrite. It's not going to work as long as ZC runs in 8-bit color, and it's a very big deal to change that.
    Didn't Takuya have a version that did run fullscreen, at one point? I remember this being a huge issue all along, but I've never sen any comprehensive explanation of the cause.

Would using SwitchResX to set the output bit depth to '8' prior to launching ZC as fullscreen accomplish anything?

Is this the end?
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    70.03%
    If I understand correctly, the requirement is that the application's color depth matches the desktop's, so that ought to work. I don't see that it's able to do that, though; the only color depth option I'm getting is "Millions of colors."

The Timelord
    QDB Manager
    ZC Developer

Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.26%
    If I understand correctly, the requirement is that the application's color depth matches the desktop's, so that ought to work. I don't see that it's able to do that, though; the only color depth option I'm getting is "Millions of colors."

Clarify please: Are you using the stock control panel, or one of the custom extensions?

SwitchResX would give 8-bit on real Macs. I'm not sure about in a VM. Also,, the option to use 8-bit existed through 10.4 or 10.5. IDR when it was removed, but it was only removed from the control panel.

SwitchResX and Display Maestro should both restore this option.

If you tried SwitchResX in a VM, and it lacked an 8-bit depth, try Display Maestro. If neither work... What VM are you using, and what OSX version? It's entirely possible that your VM options don't include a virtual display that can use 8-bit depth.

From the command line, you should be able to do:

cscreen -d 8 -x 1024 -y 768

...or whatever x,y size you want to use.

http://www.pyehouse.com/cscreen/

If all of this fails, and you want to upload your VM image somewhere, I'll run it and see if I can find a viable way to drop to 8-bit depth. I can always try running ZC fullscreen on 10.5, but I don't recall if fullscreen is force disabled in the OSX builds. I seem to recall that it is, so I'd need a binary that supports it; unless it's just set by ag.cfg.

SwitchResX:
    http://www.madrau.com/

Display Maestro
    http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30607/display-maestro

If these work, then forcing the desktop depth to 8-bit prior to doing anything else, should work.

Edit/Update:

Here is another binary that can change the bit depth manually:

https://github.com/ponychicken/scree...ster/README.md

I'd like to find the source to some of these things, so that we can add instructions in zc to store the screen settings, force a bit depth change, and revert the change on exit.

Edit/Update 2: I found one that's open source, and not a binary:

https://github.com/jhford/screenresolution

Supports get/set/list resolution and colour depth:

https://github.com/jhford/screenreso.../master/README

Thread Information