Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.61%

The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights

So here is my 2 week quest, from the competition over at PureZC.
    It's been through quite a few bugfixes now by people playing it over there, so I think it should be quite stable.

This is the 'manual' (I say manual rather than guide or .txt file or whatever because when I wrote it, I was using Oracle of Season's game manual for reference, so I tried to write it so it seemed like a real game ^_^) that I wrote to accompany the game. It's in the zip file with it on the link also. Please don't feel too patronised if you read it and already know how to use ZC (well, I assume almost everyone here does), I added in the section about how to load custom quests because I'm trying to get some of my school friends who have no clue to play it also =P, but you know, the L button is action and all that, some parts aren't entirely obvious.
    ..::The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights::..
    By Joe123

.:Story:.
    After his experience on the island of Koholint, Link was exploring uncharted areas of Hyrule.
    As he came to the prow of a great mountain, he saw in the distance something he thought he would never see again
    Flying towards link was a being of great power, an enigma capable of controlling his very dreams...
    And once again, Link was greeted by the Windfish.
    Before he realised what was happening, A rift opened in the very mountain upon which he was stood
    And Hyrule dissapeared, to be replaced with a strange new land.
    As Link awoke to see what had become of his wherabouts, the words of the windfish echoed in this head...
    'Fear the Fort Knights Link'!

.:Controls:.
    Start - Pressing 'start' will bring up the subscreen where Link can equip different Items, and check the quest status and maps.
    A && B - When in the subscreen, Link can equip different items to the A and B buttons. Move the cursor to an item, then press 'A' or 'B' to equip the item to that button. The item attributed to that button can then be used in-game.
    L - A variety of actions can be performed with the 'L' button. Link can roll, talk to NPCs, read signposts and other area-specific actions with the 'L' button.

.:How to set up The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights:.
    Firstly, The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights must be played in Zelda Classic 2.5 build 679, which can be downloaded at www.shardstorm.com
    When you have opened Zelda Classic, and reached the name entry screen, register a new name. Place the cursor on this name, and press the 'A' button. Then press it again to browse for a custom quest. When you have selected The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights, press 'OK', then press 'start'.

You will then be displayed with the 'Designer's Note'. Be sure to follow these instructions, otherwise you may have your items removed by a bug in the game. This is not intentional, but no other way around this bug could be found.

.:Items:.
    .Initial Items.
    Link starts with 8 heart containers, the Level 1 Sword and Shield, an Empty Bottle and 4 Bombs.
    From the shop on the first screen of Eyrus Village, Link can buy more Bombs, a Potion to put in the Bottle, or the Level 2 Shield that will block fireballs.

.Weaponry.
    As Link progresses through the quest, a variety of extra weapons will become available to him.
    Sword - The Sword is Link's key weapon. Used to take down a variety of enemies and trip lever-switches, it is an important and powerful asset. Rumour has it that another, more powerful sword may be hidden in the world of the Fort Knights also...
    Bombs - Link starts with 4 bombs, and can carry up to a maximum of 10. Some enemies drop bombs. Bombs can be used to blast through some obstacles, and are also a powerful weapon against many enemies.
    Ember Seeds - Link can aquire Ember Seeds, which will unleash a small ball of flame, capable of damaging some enemies and burning small bushes.
    Arrows - After Link aquires Arrows, he can buy more from the shop in Eyrus Village. Arrows are a powerful, long-ranged weapon. Link can hold 30 Arrows.
    Hookshot - Link can use the Hookshot to latch onto certain rocks, pulling himself across holes. The Hookshot can also be used to freeze almost all enemies - including Darknuts and Wizzrobes!
    Hammer - Link's Hammer will smash through all enemy defences, as well as pounding pegs into the ground.
    Boomerang - Ralph who lives in Eyrus Village has a Boomerang for sale to Link. With this weapon, Link can paralyze many enemies, making them much easier to defeat!

.Tunics.
    Red - The Red Tunic will allow Link to survive in hot areas, which are usually cautioned to him by signs.
    Blue - The Blue Tunic will allow Link to swim.
    Gold - The Gold Tunic will allow Link to see invisible enemies, aswell as raising his defence!

.Miscellaneous.
    Potion - Link can drink a Potion to restore 8 hearts of Life.
    Ocarina - The Ocarina can be used to trigger a variety of secrets.
    Roc's Cape - When Link aquires the Roc's Cape, he will be able to fly over many obstacles.
    Heart Container Piece - There are 20 Heart Container Pieces scattered across the land. When Link aquires four Heart Container Pieces, his maximum hearts will increase by one.
    Heart Container - When Link defeats a Fort Knight, he will get one extra Heart Container.

.Quest Items.
    The three Medallions held by the Fort Knights in Razmargus, Hersilia and Odentia will allow Link access to where the Commander Knight dwells in Tasmerat Fort.

And now...
    For some screen shots:

Just to stress again, this is to be played in ZC 2.5 Build 679

Anyway, the file can be found here

It's not the best quest ever, it's quite short and such, but I hope people enjoy it :)
    I'll probably upgrade it for the winter quest competition, with larger dungeons and perhaps bomb bag upgrades and other such hidden items, so at that point I'll add it to the database, and hopefully to Pure's if I can do so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.53%

Re: The Legend of Zelda - The Fort Knights

Awsome quest! I found a bug in razmargus, in screenshot where link is playing the ocarina, when the lava turns solid there you can go the the room down and the game freezes.

The Time-Loop Continues ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.11%

Ouch, it's hot in here. Say, where might one find the red tunic?

Wait, better yet, uh..which way to level 1? ..I'm lost, and just started playing. I probabnly missed something obvious. That's what usually happens with me and new quests. :googly:
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.85%

In the southern area of the lava flows, if you make a mad dash through a hot zone, you can reach the red tunic. Then just go back through hot zones in caves and you will eventually reach level 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.11%

Bug: I obtained the lava pendant without even going through the lave flows or defeating the boss, Not to mention not having the red tunic. Also at the lv2 boss the ghosted enemy was stuck at 0,0 after dying once and was unable to beat it....which led me to the other thing mentioned just by going north one screen. I guess it's my fault for using b701 though. The enemy pointers must be different in this build.

For quests like this we really need a good stable version.
    This post contains the official Gleeok seal of approval. Look for these and other posts in an area near you.

Wizrobe
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    42.85%

The boss bug strikes again! Joe123, do you have any idea whatsoever about what could be causing the bug? And Gleeok, you should use build 679 to play it. At least, I think it is build 679.
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_nog View Post
    Well of course eveything's closed for Easter - don't you know of the great Easter tradition of people barricading themselves up to protect themselves from the return of Zombie Christ?

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.61%

I have completely run out of ideas as to what to do for that.
    Gleeok, would you mind having a look at the .qst file?

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.11%

Quote Originally Posted by Joe123 View Post

I have completely run out of ideas as to what to do for that.
    Gleeok, would you mind having a look at the .qst file?
    Yeah, sure, no problem. I'd sometimes get odd behavior when two or more scripts were pointing to the same NPC and trying to move it around.(which turned out to be my fault) All those were working great for me in 701, which is one reason I was using it to play this.

Other than that there were no other bugs found, and I never even quit->saved at the begining.

&&
    ZC Developer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    8.61%

Eeeeek!

You can't not do that!

If you don't, when you save and restart it removes all of your items the first time!

It is there for a reason ¬_¬

But if it worked for you, then that's great I suppose :)
    Shoelace said it worked fine for him too, just didn't want to take the chance really, quite a crippling bug.

Thanks for having a look. There aren't two scripts pointing at the same NPC though...

Mentioned
    259 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    26.11%

Umm, could you point me in the direction of the problem screens in map coordinates please.

Thread Information